Two pies in One pie pan Experiment Results

Here’s my double pie straight out of the oven. Isn’t it pretty?!?

I know everyone is wondering what happened last night after the double pie went into the oven. I ended up baking the double pie for about an hour. The crust that was folded over in the middle didn’t quite bake all the way through, but when I make the pie for the contest, it obviously won’t have that problem.

I let them cool for about 2 hours before cutting into them. Hubby got home from work REALLY late and we had a small piece to try them out. I was glad to see that both pies were baked through.

The pear and cranberry pie was tasted first. The baked pears were delicious but we both thought the cranberries were too tart. The bites without cranberry were heavenly though. I would definitely make this again with maybe dried cranberries or cooked cranberries? Any suggestions? Katie – did I do something wrong? I could still use this recipe for the contest if I needed to, but it would need some work…

Next came the squash pie. OH my goodness this was very good. Very unique and creative. I don’t really know how to describe it. Except imagine a pie that’s made by heating up some butternut squash, then adding some pears, dried cranberries, walnuts, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. After the sugar melts, you stir it all up. The sugar makes this amazing gooey glaze over everything else. Like I said before, I wanted to eat the filling with a spoon. It’s a very good, unexpected fall pie.

So as you may have guess, we both voted for the squash pie. We’re taking the rest of the double pie over to our friend’s house tomorrow so we’ll get their votes too. I’ll also see how the pies hold up over night since I’ll be baking them Sunday night and the contest is Monday at 1:00. And yes, I did consider staying home from work Monday morning to bake, but I thought that would be a bit extreme…

12 Responses to “S’mores Cupcakes”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I think we both know that I’m not a baker…yet I still think I need a kitchen torch! Can I help that I’m addicted to kitchen gadgets?

Eliana — October 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I love using my kitchen torch. I think I will have whip it out soon to make these beauties. They look super delish.

Courtney — October 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm

These are ADORABLE! I don’t even like S’mores, but I might try these.

Daisy — October 7, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Kinda jealous of your kitchen torch. These smores goodies have me drooling all week!

Jen — October 7, 2010 at 3:15 pm

These look great — love s’mores cupcakes. I love making these because the kitchen torch is fun to play with.

stephchows — October 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm

ok now all I want is smores in every variety possible LOL YUM!!!!!! thanks so much for the vote!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 8, 2010 at 3:32 pm

This looks so heavenly! I’ll be dreaming about that frosting tonight…

Jami — October 10, 2010 at 3:20 am

I recently made some s’mores cupcakes using a piece of graham cracker as a crust, but I thought it tasted salty. Of course, I used a mix, which probably did have added salt. I am going to try this method. I’d also love to try the torch! woo hoo!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:39 am

These look delicious! I have got to try that marshmallow frosting…sounds amazing!

Xiaolu — October 18, 2010 at 12:53 am

I made and blogged about these and they’re so delicious. Thanks for the inspiration. I did increase the amounts of everything but the cake batter since I had so much left over.

breader33 — January 23, 2011 at 9:56 pm

These are just, amazing. i used the Hershey’s ‘special dark’ cocoa powder, and they were to die for. i will definitely be making these again.

The Addicted Baker — March 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I just made delicious s’more cupcakes. Check it out: http://theaddictedbaker.blogspot.com/2011/03/smore-cookies.html