Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies

It was that time of year again, time for our beer pong league finals. This is our third season and I’ve brought food to the finals every time. I always make a double batch of pretzels. Everyone loves those pretzels. This season, I also brought the always delicious bacon wrapped dates, these brownies, and some peanut butter sandwich cookies (watch for that post soon).

I’ve seen this brownie recipe before. Something about throwing Oreos into the mix takes it to the next level. And let me tell you, that level is an amazing place for a brownie to be. The batter for these guys could be eaten with a spoon. It’s delicious. And that’s even before you add a whole package of Oreo cookies! Maybe it has something to do with the 4 sticks of butter and 1 lb + 6 oz of chocolate in the batter…

Instead of chopping the Oreos, I just broke them into 4 pieces by hand. To coat with the flour, I just threw the cookies and the flour in a gallon ziplock bag and shook to coat. I use that trick for chocolate chips too. It helps them to not just sink to the bottom of the batter while baking. It’s a good trick to have up your sleeve.

Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies – from Oprah.com
4 sticks butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate chips – this is 2 cups + 2/3 cup
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules – I used instant Espresso since that’s what I had on hand
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup plus 1/4 cup flour – separated out into 1 cup and 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped Oreo cookies (50 cookies) – I used 1 pkg of Oreos which had 45 cookies in it

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°. Butter and flour an 11 1/2″ x 17 1/4″ x 1″ baking pan.

In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Blend chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together one cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture.

In a small bowl (I used a gallon ziplock bag), stir Oreos and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Add Oreo mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour batter into baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.

Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean; do not overbake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, until cold; cut into squares.

13 Responses to “Chocolate M&M Cookies”

Katie — October 21, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Jen, I totally love your blog. You always ahve the BEST treats! I LOVE the picture with all the cookies resting on the m&ms. GREAT idea! 🙂

Jigginjessica — October 21, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Looks beautiful as always!

stephchows — October 21, 2009 at 3:31 pm

perfect use of pink! So interesting about how the cookies reacted to the way you rolled them! Thanks for the heads up!

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Your cookies look great and that’s a good tip about getting them to look their best too. My kids and all their friends love these cookies. I’ve made them a few times since I first posted them and they never last long.
    thanks for the link!
    ~ Michelle

Chocolate Shavings — October 21, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Those are beautiful and perfect for such a great cause

The Novice Chef — October 21, 2009 at 7:32 pm

What an adorable picture! Also helps that they are for a great cause! 🙂

Natalie — October 21, 2009 at 8:10 pm

M&Ms are my favorite treat and I love that during this month everything is PINK! The cookies look fantastic.

Kat — October 21, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I am bummed I missed your Power of Pink contest as I was utilizing October to raise awareness around breast cancer too! I made some cookies and have a post on my site: http://katskitchenplace.blogspot.com/2009/10/october-is-breast-cancer-awareness.html
    I like the chocolate cookie base of your cookies! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to checking back and seeing all what people make towards your challenge 🙂

tastestopping — October 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm

A chocolate cookie topped with chocolate candies? What could be better? Perhaps a tall, ice cold glass of milk to go with them! They look divine. I’m wondering if you might skip the rolling and flattening by creating a wide log of dough (without M&Ms), slicing to the thickness desired, then pressing candies on top? Seems like the dough might be fairly easy to shape into a log. A quick pop into the fridge before slicing would help firm it up. Just a thought! I can’t wait to try them.

Best,
    Casey

P.S. Not sure if I’ve invited you before, but I’d love to publish any of your photos that FoodGawker and TasteSpotting decline! Thanks. 😀

nutmegnanny — October 23, 2009 at 3:15 am

I love the dark chocolate and pink M&M contrast. What fantastic cookies:)

natalie — February 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

natalie — February 25, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I just made your recipe for these cookies yesterday and took them to church. The kids went nuts and they’ve never turned out as pretty as they did this time. Thanks for the helpful tips because my m&m cookies have never turned out prettier! 9 minutes was also perfect timing as well.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 19, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Both pretty and I’m sure delicious! I love how you showed the comparison between batches to give better suggestions for prettier cookies. The final batch are definitely the prettiest of the bunch. I love that the pink pops w/the chocolate cookie.