Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies

It was that time of year again, time for our beer pong league finals. This is our third season and I’ve brought food to the finals every time. I always make a double batch of pretzels. Everyone loves those pretzels. This season, I also brought the always delicious bacon wrapped dates, these brownies, and some peanut butter sandwich cookies (watch for that post soon).

I’ve seen this brownie recipe before. Something about throwing Oreos into the mix takes it to the next level. And let me tell you, that level is an amazing place for a brownie to be. The batter for these guys could be eaten with a spoon. It’s delicious. And that’s even before you add a whole package of Oreo cookies! Maybe it has something to do with the 4 sticks of butter and 1 lb + 6 oz of chocolate in the batter…

Instead of chopping the Oreos, I just broke them into 4 pieces by hand. To coat with the flour, I just threw the cookies and the flour in a gallon ziplock bag and shook to coat. I use that trick for chocolate chips too. It helps them to not just sink to the bottom of the batter while baking. It’s a good trick to have up your sleeve.

Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies – from Oprah.com
4 sticks butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate chips - this is 2 cups + 2/3 cup
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules - I used instant Espresso since that’s what I had on hand
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup plus 1/4 cup flour - separated out into 1 cup and 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped Oreo cookies (50 cookies) - I used 1 pkg of Oreos which had 45 cookies in it

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°. Butter and flour an 11 1/2″ x 17 1/4″ x 1″ baking pan.

In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Blend chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together one cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture.

In a small bowl (I used a gallon ziplock bag), stir Oreos and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Add Oreo mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour batter into baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.

Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean; do not overbake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, until cold; cut into squares.

10 Responses to “Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies”

Linds — November 25, 2008 at 1:59 am

Oh my goodness, those look AMAZING!

Ingrid — November 25, 2008 at 3:07 am

Wow, that’s a lot of brownies. They do look heavenly! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    ~ingrid

~Amber~ — November 25, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Wow, these look amazing!

Jen — November 25, 2008 at 5:48 pm

These are amazing! And they’re very chocolatey. Definitely need a glass of milk with them :)

Katie — December 1, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Whoa! Those look insanely decadent and delicious!

Glenice — February 27, 2010 at 4:50 am

Hi Jan. These Orio Crunch Brownies look delicious and I would like to try an make them. Being in Australia the recipe needs some clarification for me. How much butter is in a stick? We get butter in 1kg and 500 gm packs… Thanks so much. Just found your blog today and oh! oh!, everything looks so nice. I would like to leave my email address for you: jong2505@hotmail.com

Thanks ever so much…
    Glenice

Sarah — April 13, 2010 at 1:20 am

These look so great! Can I eliminate the instant coffee or is it essential to the taste? I am making these for my 3-year-old niece’s birthday party, and she LOVES chocolate, but I don’t think she should have something with coffee in it. What are your thoughts?

Jen — April 13, 2010 at 11:59 am

Sarah – The coffe in the brownies is there to enhance the flavor of the chocolate. It is not necessary, you could definitely take it out without any issues. I hope you enjoy the brownies!

Sarah — April 19, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Sorry to be a pest with questions, but what kind of pan is the size you mentioned? I did a search online and I got two results – a jelly roll pan and also a much deeper roasting pan. The brownies in your photos look thick but I’m not sure if I need to pick up a new pan. Thanks for all of your help!!! :-)

Jen — April 21, 2010 at 11:04 am

Sarah – Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The pan I used is 11x17x1. So it’s not very deep. I always call it a jelly roll pan. Hope that helps!