Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies

It was that time of year again, time for our beer pong league finals. This is our third season and I’ve brought food to the finals every time. I always make a double batch of pretzels. Everyone loves those pretzels. This season, I also brought the always delicious bacon wrapped dates, these brownies, and some peanut butter sandwich cookies (watch for that post soon).

I’ve seen this brownie recipe before. Something about throwing Oreos into the mix takes it to the next level. And let me tell you, that level is an amazing place for a brownie to be. The batter for these guys could be eaten with a spoon. It’s delicious. And that’s even before you add a whole package of Oreo cookies! Maybe it has something to do with the 4 sticks of butter and 1 lb + 6 oz of chocolate in the batter…

Instead of chopping the Oreos, I just broke them into 4 pieces by hand. To coat with the flour, I just threw the cookies and the flour in a gallon ziplock bag and shook to coat. I use that trick for chocolate chips too. It helps them to not just sink to the bottom of the batter while baking. It’s a good trick to have up your sleeve.

Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies – from Oprah.com
4 sticks butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate chips – this is 2 cups + 2/3 cup
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules – I used instant Espresso since that’s what I had on hand
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup plus 1/4 cup flour – separated out into 1 cup and 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped Oreo cookies (50 cookies) – I used 1 pkg of Oreos which had 45 cookies in it

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°. Butter and flour an 11 1/2″ x 17 1/4″ x 1″ baking pan.

In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Blend chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together one cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture.

In a small bowl (I used a gallon ziplock bag), stir Oreos and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Add Oreo mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour batter into baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.

Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean; do not overbake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, until cold; cut into squares.

14 Responses to “Harry Potter Cupcakes”

clstar — August 4, 2009 at 12:31 pm

OMG, I am in love with these cupcakes! They’re so awesome! I love HP, and I made owl cupcakes when the movie came out. I might need to give these a try before going to see the IMAX 3D movie.

thegreatpantryraid — August 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

How cute are those?! And i was wondering how you got the lettering so perfect – thanks for the step-by-step. Lol – I just dragged DH to the Harry Potter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry – I’m sure he’ll be happy when the final movie comes out and he doesn’t have to hear about it anymore!

thecookingnurse — August 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Great job, how lucky are your friends?

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I’m so jealous! My two sisters are going to the exhibit this weekend. I thought about flying to Chicago to join them. Luckily I found out the exhibit is coming here in October. Whew!

Erin — August 4, 2009 at 5:57 pm

These look fabulous! You did such a great job on them!

Katie — August 4, 2009 at 7:25 pm

WOW JEN!! Those are fantastic!! Better than professional! Seriously, what talent you have to make those! 🙂

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Aw thanks Katie – you’re making me blush.

Ingrid — August 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I hate when cupcakes do that to me too. Instead of baking up they bake out! 🙁

Love your Harry Potter cupcake toppers! Very cute and creative!
    ~ingrid

Manda — August 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Hi Jen! A friend of mine forwarded me your page for HP Cupcakes and I just wanted to drop in and say that I think they’re awesome and I want to run home now and try to create some fun hp themed cakes! I had done some in the past–cauldron cakes if you will, by buying mini cauldrons and cutting the bottom off so the tops sat just on the cakes and then used a bit of green frosting on the inside. You should join up with the HP-MA crew! We’ve been organizing some meet-ups for Boston Fans!

Jen — August 4, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Sounds awesome Manda.

nutmegnanny — August 5, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Oh my goodness, what adorable little cupcakes!

annieseats — August 6, 2009 at 1:25 am

So so cute! And yeah, those “HPs” must have taken FOREVER. I have a fabulous vanilla cupcake recipe that never fails me here: http://annies-eats.com/2008/07/18/vanilla-cupcakes/. Also, I recently made Dorie’s perfect party cake into cupcakes and had great results with that as well.

bcallegra — August 7, 2009 at 12:47 am

I love your HP cupcakes! I too am a huge Harry Potter fan but I have to admit, I don’t think I’d be patient enough to make cupcakes and toppings as cute as yours!

Karin — April 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

These are so awesome!! I wish I would have seen them and did some of these with the HP cake I did!!