Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies

It was that time of year again, time for our beer pong league finals. This is our third season and I’ve brought food to the finals every time. I always make a double batch of pretzels. Everyone loves those pretzels. This season, I also brought the always delicious bacon wrapped dates, these brownies, and some peanut butter sandwich cookies (watch for that post soon).

I’ve seen this brownie recipe before. Something about throwing Oreos into the mix takes it to the next level. And let me tell you, that level is an amazing place for a brownie to be. The batter for these guys could be eaten with a spoon. It’s delicious. And that’s even before you add a whole package of Oreo cookies! Maybe it has something to do with the 4 sticks of butter and 1 lb + 6 oz of chocolate in the batter…

Instead of chopping the Oreos, I just broke them into 4 pieces by hand. To coat with the flour, I just threw the cookies and the flour in a gallon ziplock bag and shook to coat. I use that trick for chocolate chips too. It helps them to not just sink to the bottom of the batter while baking. It’s a good trick to have up your sleeve.

Ina Gartens Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies – from Oprah.com
4 sticks butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate chips – this is 2 cups + 2/3 cup
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules – I used instant Espresso since that’s what I had on hand
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup plus 1/4 cup flour – separated out into 1 cup and 1/4 cup
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped Oreo cookies (50 cookies) – I used 1 pkg of Oreos which had 45 cookies in it

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°. Butter and flour an 11 1/2″ x 17 1/4″ x 1″ baking pan.

In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Blend chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together one cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture.

In a small bowl (I used a gallon ziplock bag), stir Oreos and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Add Oreo mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour batter into baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.

Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean; do not overbake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, until cold; cut into squares.

16 Responses to “Homemade Milky Way Candy Bars”

KV — October 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm

those look good too. Are homemade butterfingers next? I have a recipe I’m going to try out soon.

Jen — October 20, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Butterfingers would be tasty, but I’ve got something else coming on Friday…

amanda @ fake ginger — October 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

OH YUM! I really want to try these but I’m horrible at dipping things too.

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2010 at 12:25 am

This is exactly what my son’s been asking me to do. You’re making it hard to say no – they look perfect!

Kimmy Bingham — October 21, 2010 at 1:03 am

Why do you tempt me so? Milky Ways are my favorites. This is so worth trying 🙂

Smitten Sugar — October 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Yum these look delicious! I love Milky ways

Eliana — October 21, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Well they look pretty perfect to me! And super delicious too.

Kerstin — October 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I’m so intrigued by the cool whip/chocolate mixture for the filling! These look so yummy and addicting!

Miss Yunks — October 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm

These look so cute and much easier than the milky ways and snickers I made a few months ago. I made mine in muffin wrappers so I didn’t dip them, just layered the chocolate, nougat, caramel, and chocolate! They came out pretty tasty but was a lot of work!

Rachael Pergler — October 26, 2010 at 1:31 am

I just tried these and they didn’t come out as I’d hoped. The chocolate and whipped cream mix was too sticky and wouldn’t harden. Did I do something wrong? Also what if you can’t find kraft caramel?

Jen — October 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

Rachael – Sorry to hear they didn’t turn out for you. The center part was a bit sticky while dipping and wasn’t super hard… Any caramel would work for this recipe, I just use the Kraft kind that comes individually wrapped.

K — November 2, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I would put melted chocolate in the pan first, freeze, then the chocolate mixture, then the caramel. Then you can spoon melted chocolate on top. Would this work? (It solves the dipping problem too!)

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

That could definitely work… The caramel might ooze out when you gut them though… Let me know how it goes if you try it.

Rick — October 31, 2014 at 11:23 am

I hope you are not using Cool Whip which is all trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup. I’m looking for a healthier alternative to the store bought Milky Way. Perhaps a recipe for homemade whip ?

Linda — December 23, 2015 at 1:42 pm

These were a DISASTER. I wasted my morning and a lot of ingredients. The chocolate mixture was so sticky when cutting into squares. The directions did not state whether to add water to the caramels when melting so I didn’t…the caramels ended up thick and so sticky, I had trouble putting it on the chocolate layer. Dumped the whole mess out since I didn’t want to waste a bag of milk chocolate chips to coat them. I have been baking my entire life (60 +) and never had a recipe go like that.

360 health tips — December 11, 2017 at 9:45 am

Very rapidly this website will be famous amid all
    blog visitors, due to it’s good articles or reviews