The Power of Pink Challenge!

Four years ago, Hubby had just moved to India for a 3-month work assignment. It was summer and I was living on my own for the first time in a while. The day after he left, my mom called. She had breast cancer… It wasn’t a good diagnosis, but she seemed optimistic. After a mastectomy, very aggressive chemo-therapy, followed by 30 days of radiation, my mother had beaten the cancer. It was a very difficult time for the entire family. My mom stayed optimistic throughout the whole ordeal. She loved to take off her wig when you had your back turned just to scare the crap out of you when you turned around.

It seems that now everyone knows someone who has been affected by breast cancer. In honor of October being National Breast Cancer Awareness month, I present this challenge to you:

make something PINK

It can be anything as long as it’s pink. While you’re doing it, think of the people in your life who have been affected by this disease. Do your monthly self-exam or your mammogram (ok you might not want to do this while you’re cooking/baking, but at least think about it and remember to do it in the shower or to call and get a mammogram appointment). This disease can be beaten especially with early detection and increased awareness.

Here are the rules:
1. Make something, anything, that comes out pink – use any ingredients you want (you can double this up for another blogging event if you’d like)
2. Post your pink food by October 31
3. Include the logo and link back to this post in your post
4. Email me at beantownbaker[at]gmail[dot]com – include:
      – Your name and location (city/state/country)
      – Name of your blog
      – Link to your post
      – Picture (or permission to pull one out of your post)
If you don’t have a blog and would like to participate, just send me your information as well as the recipe used and I will post it here for you.

I dedicate this challenge to my mother and her two sisters who have also had breast cancer.

8 Responses to “My Top 10 List!”

Michelle — June 30, 2009 at 11:54 pm

How awesome that you were on Leno! Are we allowed to ask what you were on for? I love your list and am raising two hands to vote for the Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake. I made it last fall (http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2008/10/11/brownie-mosaic-cheesecake/) and it is simply to die for. You won’t be sorry!!

Michelle — June 30, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Um yeah, totally meant Letterman. ::slaps forehead:: I’m sleepy 😉

annieseats — July 1, 2009 at 1:47 am

What a cool blog event! I wish I had known about it before today, so I could participate. Is it a monthly thing? If so, I’m definitely in next time!

Jen — July 1, 2009 at 3:13 am

Michelle – I was the co-captain of a Rube Goldberg team (think of the game mouse trap but on a HUGE scale) in college. In 2003, Purdue won the national competition and they got us on the Letterman show. I was the “spokesperson” for the team and we had our machine on stage. It was an awesome experience. I’ve been trying to find pictures, but that was pre-digital camera for me so I can’t find any…

Annie – I believe it is a monthly event. I think she started it in May…

Ali — July 8, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Thanks for the link to my site! I hope you try out the Chocolate Goat Cheese Truffles if you are a goat cheese fan. They were so delish.

Sweetie — July 9, 2009 at 11:44 am

yay for the best bookmarks ever! we have similar taste i guess bc i got some great ideas from this post and i’ve done some on your list. two quick notes on these bookmarks:

1) do the bagels at smitten kitchen. the cinna. raisin rock and it’s so rewarding to spend that much time and yield awesome results. i’m a new baker and it wasn’t very hard to do. definitely add the maple syrup or molasses to the water when you boil the bagels. dole makes plump raisins and they rock.
    2) billy’s cupcakes will be your answer to vanilla cupcakes forever! i had issues with overflow so i’d reduce the baking powder from 3t (=1T) to 2.5 tsp.

Jen — July 9, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Thanks for the tips Sweetie

McWalker — July 12, 2009 at 9:08 pm

OMG thanks for the shout-out!!! 🙂 where the HECK have i been!?? i’ve seen your facebook status updates and i never realized they were from YOUR blog!!! they are awesome! i’m SO proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! talk soon!!! love, WALKER
    ps: i have some pics, i’ll get them scanned. 🙂