The Power of Pink Challenge!

Four years ago, Hubby had just moved to India for a 3-month work assignment. It was summer and I was living on my own for the first time in a while. The day after he left, my mom called. She had breast cancer… It wasn’t a good diagnosis, but she seemed optimistic. After a mastectomy, very aggressive chemo-therapy, followed by 30 days of radiation, my mother had beaten the cancer. It was a very difficult time for the entire family. My mom stayed optimistic throughout the whole ordeal. She loved to take off her wig when you had your back turned just to scare the crap out of you when you turned around.

It seems that now everyone knows someone who has been affected by breast cancer. In honor of October being National Breast Cancer Awareness month, I present this challenge to you:

make something PINK

It can be anything as long as it’s pink. While you’re doing it, think of the people in your life who have been affected by this disease. Do your monthly self-exam or your mammogram (ok you might not want to do this while you’re cooking/baking, but at least think about it and remember to do it in the shower or to call and get a mammogram appointment). This disease can be beaten especially with early detection and increased awareness.

Here are the rules:
1. Make something, anything, that comes out pink – use any ingredients you want (you can double this up for another blogging event if you’d like)
2. Post your pink food by October 31
3. Include the logo and link back to this post in your post
4. Email me at beantownbaker[at]gmail[dot]com – include:
      – Your name and location (city/state/country)
      – Name of your blog
      – Link to your post
      – Picture (or permission to pull one out of your post)
If you don’t have a blog and would like to participate, just send me your information as well as the recipe used and I will post it here for you.

I dedicate this challenge to my mother and her two sisters who have also had breast cancer.

8 Responses to “Great American Taste Test – KFC biscuits”

Stephanie Wagner — September 15, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Looks like these turned out great! I’m surprised they didn’t call for brushing some egg on top of the biscuits before cooking, that might get that top a little crispier…I totally want to make some of these Saturday morning.

Katy ~ — September 16, 2009 at 8:26 am

These look very good to me. I have a favorite biscuit recipe, but want to give these a try because of the buttermilk.

Have been following your blog for a while. Nice blog!

Jen — September 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

I agree Steph. Or maybe just melted butter to give it the color.

tom — September 16, 2009 at 12:51 pm

If you want to compare even more recipes from many of the popular sites, take a look at RecipeComparison.com. Just search for “buttermilk biscuits” and you’ll see all the ingredients nicely laid out in a table with a link to jump directly to each recipe.

Food Lady — March 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

I worked at a KFC in the mid-90s. I had privy to the ingredients lists and methods. The biscuits came frozen and had egg in the dough. We brushed the tops after baking with butter-flavored oil that is commonly used in the restaurant industry. I remember thinking that the egg was unusual; I hadn’t seen many biscuit recipes calling for egg, and I have been baking since I was 8.

Dawn — April 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

kfc.com does not list eggs in their food allergy listing for the biscuits, just an fyi

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I, too, worked at a KFC when I was a teenager. The biscuits were not frozen. It was a bag mix and we mixed it with a large tub of shortening. Then mixed, rolled, cut and baked. We topped with a “liquid butter” substance fresh from the oven. They may make them frozen now, but they didn’t in the early 90’s.

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Oh, and there are NO eggs in the mix. Otherwise, it would be a cake, not a biscuit. That is common baking “science”.