M&M Cookies

I’m entering into my Power of Pink Challenge. There are quite a few breast cancer awareness events this month. I saw this M&M cookie recipe and I knew I had to try it. Growing up, my mom made M&M cookies using yellow cake mix. They’re quite tasty but I really don’t like using cake mix (I know, I’ve become a food snob). So I’ve been in search of a great M&M cookie recipe for about a year now. I made monster cookies and they were great, but weren’t exactly what I was looking for… This recipe really hit the spot. The large amount of brown sugar keeps these cookies sweet and moist. I love the texture and the bits of pecan in cookie.

I took these to our second week of beer pong league. I did have one person ask if the M&M were leftover from Valentine’s Day. I explained that they were for Breast Cancer Awareness. Seriously, do you think a bag of M&Ms could last in my cabinets for 8 months?!? (I happen to love M&Ms in everything – on ice cream, with pretzels, and by themself, frozen of course). Enough babbling from me, on to the recipe…

M&M Cookies – from Delish – originally from the Cookie Bible
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar – I used Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups M&M’s, divided
1 cup chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add eggs; beat well.

Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in 3/4 cup M&Ms and all the nuts.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Press 5-6 of remaining M&Ms on each cookie before baking. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Yields about 3-3 1/2 dozen cookies. I made a double batch which yielded a about 6.5 dozen cookies. I used my cookie scoop to portion the batter.

10 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Bars”

Ingrid — August 6, 2009 at 7:36 pm

I’ve been anxious to try rhubarb but after many trips to the grocery store missed the season. (it sold out-FAST!) Did you use fresh or frozen rhubarb? I just saw the frozen kind and have been thinking about giving it a try.
    ~ingrid

Jen — August 6, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Ingrid – I made this when I was home in the Midwest back in June. It seems easier to find out there than in the East Coast where I live. We use fresh and I’ve never used frozen although my dad does freeze his for the rhubarb rolls I made a few weeks ago too. I should have grabbed a ton and froze it myself…

bewa3u1 — August 6, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I made these for a 4th of July party. we ran out of fresh and had to use frozen rhubarb, which tasted fine, we couldnt tell the difference (but we also had the fresh mixed in). Although I would suggest cutting the frozen pieces up a bit more- they came out of the bag huge! ~Jen’s older-younger sister

Jen — August 6, 2009 at 9:15 pm

thanks little sis! Were they store bought or did Dad freeze them from fresh?

Katie — August 7, 2009 at 2:42 am

No kidding – those look like the best dessert ever!! I’m starring and making for sure!

Sara @ Our Best Bites — August 7, 2009 at 5:07 am

Ya know what- I’ve never made anything with rhubarb! But those sure look yummy so I might have to try it 🙂

Colleen — August 7, 2009 at 5:42 pm

These look delicious!

nutmegnanny — August 7, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I love rhubarb, what a great new way to use it;)

madebymel — August 9, 2009 at 12:44 am

I really need to try rhubarb. I am afraid I won’t like it, but this looks like a great recipe!

Ingrid — August 9, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Thank for the info Jen! I just may go ahead and give frozen a try otherwise its wait a year.
    ~ingrid