M&M Cookies

I’m entering into my Power of Pink Challenge. There are quite a few breast cancer awareness events this month. I saw this M&M cookie recipe and I knew I had to try it. Growing up, my mom made M&M cookies using yellow cake mix. They’re quite tasty but I really don’t like using cake mix (I know, I’ve become a food snob). So I’ve been in search of a great M&M cookie recipe for about a year now. I made monster cookies and they were great, but weren’t exactly what I was looking for… This recipe really hit the spot. The large amount of brown sugar keeps these cookies sweet and moist. I love the texture and the bits of pecan in cookie.

I took these to our second week of beer pong league. I did have one person ask if the M&M were leftover from Valentine’s Day. I explained that they were for Breast Cancer Awareness. Seriously, do you think a bag of M&Ms could last in my cabinets for 8 months?!? (I happen to love M&Ms in everything – on ice cream, with pretzels, and by themself, frozen of course). Enough babbling from me, on to the recipe…

M&M Cookies – from Delish – originally from the Cookie Bible
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar – I used Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups M&M’s, divided
1 cup chopped pecans
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add eggs; beat well.

Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in 3/4 cup M&Ms and all the nuts.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Press 5-6 of remaining M&Ms on each cookie before baking. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Yields about 3-3 1/2 dozen cookies. I made a double batch which yielded a about 6.5 dozen cookies. I used my cookie scoop to portion the batter.

11 Responses to “Chocolate Oatmeal Almost Candy Bars”

Brisbane Baker — March 24, 2010 at 11:57 am

Wow, you’re going to end up with a whole lotta bars by the end of the week 😀

Yum! Love this recipe 🙂

yumventures — March 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I love when ingredients don’t sound like they would be good, but come together in an amazing way! These look lovely.

Valen — March 24, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I really enjoy your blog, lots of great photos and recipes! These look so good! I love oats, chocolate, and raisins, but have never combined all three.

Memória — March 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm

These bars look fantastic and full of flavor. I’m bookmarking this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

themilkmanswife — March 24, 2010 at 11:40 pm

These sound wonderful! I’m not huge on raisins either but it sounds like they really work here. I’ll have to try these! 🙂

Jen — March 25, 2010 at 12:52 am

This looks really great but I don’t think I can do the raisins–maybe I would make this and then I could give it to other people instead of eating it all myself!

Kelly — March 25, 2010 at 1:04 am

Who is getting to eat all these amazing creations? Those ingredients sound delicious to me so I can only imagine the combined taste!

Jen — March 25, 2010 at 1:08 am

Ha Kelly! My husband and I take the baked goods to work with us. I am also the girl who always brings a dessert to any gathering. Everyone knows that if we’re hanging out, I’ll probably have desserts in hand. I usually only have about one of whatever I make (hey, I have to taste test my food!)

Katherine Martin — March 25, 2010 at 2:19 am

I am soooo making my housemates make me these for my birthday. If they don’t, I’ll just make them this weekend!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

o — September 17, 2013 at 4:24 am

How many grams in a stick of butter?

• beantownbaker — September 17th, 2013 @ 7:30 am