Crockpot Keilbasa and Kraut for Oktoberfest!

Joelen is hosting another great event. If you haven’t seen her blog, you’re really missing out. Go check it out (after you finish reading this post otherwise you might not come back!) She hosts tons of events at her place in Chicago and lets bloggers participate virtually through the internet. For the Oktoberfest event, German food and drink are being highlighted. Sounds like my kind of evening!

Hubby made this for the first time a few months ago for our German themed dinner party (same party I made these Plum Rolls for). My mom used to eat sauerkraut when I was younger. I had never tried it because of the smell.

This recipe is amazing. The caramelized onions and apple cider really soak into the kraut and sweeten it up. And, by using the crockpot to cook the meat, it becomes very tender. We’ve made this quite a few times in the past couple of months and I’m very glad I decided to try sauerkraut! The kraut is pretty salty so be sure you have a large glass of water (or your favorite Oktoberfest brew) handy.

Crockpot Keilbasa and Kraut – from RecipeZaar – serves 8 – we usually cut the recipe in half
1 medium onion
2 lbs kielbasa (2 kielbasa)
2 (32 ounce) packages sauerkraut
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider

Slice 1 onion into thin strips and caramelize.

Drain and rinse sauerkraut.

Slice kielbasa into 1-inch lengths.

Combine water, cider and brown sugar.

Combine all ingredients well in crock pot.

Cook on high 6 hours – we cooked on low for about 9 hours and it was done

9 Responses to “Roasted Asparagus”

Cara — May 27, 2010 at 12:21 am

some of our faves are asparagus and brussels sprouts too 🙂

Jennifer Chung — May 27, 2010 at 2:22 am

This is the only way we eat our asparagus as well. Do people still boil asparagus? Seriously, it’s kind of a waste that way…
    Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best to share. 🙂

yumventures — May 27, 2010 at 3:35 am

One of my all time faves. Roasted anything, actually, but asparagus gets so crispy and flavorful!

Feast from Famine — May 27, 2010 at 3:41 am

We love to grill asparagus that has been rubbed with olive oil and sea salt–so good! 🙂

Sezasaurus — May 27, 2010 at 4:33 am

Hi there, I’ve been reading your blog for so long now and just wanted to say thanks for all your wonderful recipes. I’ve used so many that have been awesome and really tasty thank you so much! Keep up the good work!

Sezasaurus — May 27, 2010 at 4:35 am

p.s asparagus season is one of the highlights of our year to hehe. So many fantastic things you can do with it! Have you tried roasting it in orange juice and silvered almonds? Devine.

Jen — May 27, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Sezasaurus – Orange and almond does sound tasty! Thanks for the idea.

Elina — May 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I can’t remember if I’ve ever had roasted asparagus – roasted broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts definitely but roasted asparagus could be a new one. Sounds awesome! 🙂

Sarah — June 5, 2010 at 1:57 am

We made this last night with grilled pork chops and homemade mac and cheese. I tossed in the olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper and then probably ate 1/4 of them cold while I was waiting for the oven to heat up. Hubby and I each took a serving for our plates after they cooked and then stood in the kitchen eating the rest off the baking sheet before we had dinner! So good and so easy for our favorite veggie!