Crockpot Keilbasa and Kraut for Oktoberfest!

Joelen is hosting another great event. If you haven’t seen her blog, you’re really missing out. Go check it out (after you finish reading this post otherwise you might not come back!) She hosts tons of events at her place in Chicago and lets bloggers participate virtually through the internet. For the Oktoberfest event, German food and drink are being highlighted. Sounds like my kind of evening!

Hubby made this for the first time a few months ago for our German themed dinner party (same party I made these Plum Rolls for). My mom used to eat sauerkraut when I was younger. I had never tried it because of the smell.

This recipe is amazing. The caramelized onions and apple cider really soak into the kraut and sweeten it up. And, by using the crockpot to cook the meat, it becomes very tender. We’ve made this quite a few times in the past couple of months and I’m very glad I decided to try sauerkraut! The kraut is pretty salty so be sure you have a large glass of water (or your favorite Oktoberfest brew) handy.

Crockpot Keilbasa and Kraut – from RecipeZaar – serves 8 – we usually cut the recipe in half
1 medium onion
2 lbs kielbasa (2 kielbasa)
2 (32 ounce) packages sauerkraut
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider

Slice 1 onion into thin strips and caramelize.

Drain and rinse sauerkraut.

Slice kielbasa into 1-inch lengths.

Combine water, cider and brown sugar.

Combine all ingredients well in crock pot.

Cook on high 6 hours – we cooked on low for about 9 hours and it was done

9 Responses to “Tomatoes stuffed with Salmon Dill Dip (Barefoot Bloggers)”

webbie — July 24, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Welcome to the BBs. I did cucumber towers with mine the first time I made this, then stuffed cherry tomatoes and new potatoes for a work event today.

Your pics are great. Wish I’d thought of the salt.:-)

Sophie — July 24, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Hi Jen,

I just discovered your blog :). I’m Sophie from Flour Arrangements. In just about a week I’ll be moving to Boston (actually Cambridge) from Austin, and I’m hoping to start a cooking group when I get there. I actually TRY to cook dairy free too (although sometimes I need a little dairy in there, ya know?); so it’d be cool to have a fellow ‘somewhat non-dairy’ foodie in the group! Drop me a comment on my blog, or even an email, if you’re interested. It’s nice meeting you!

Oh, and feel free to tell any of your friends about it :).

Flour Arrangements

Ivy — July 24, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Wow, these look really good and refreshing! NIICE!

Joelen — July 24, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Your idea of stuffing them into tomatoes is great! And great tip on using salt!

Esi — July 24, 2008 at 9:19 pm

I love how you presented the dip. Nice work!

Inna's Culinary Inventions — July 25, 2008 at 2:52 am

What a wonderful idea to stuff tomatoes! These look great!

giz — July 25, 2008 at 8:19 pm

These would be fun to make. I’ll bet the hardest part was scooping out the tomatoes. They make for a delicious and colourful appetizer.

Megan — July 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm

excellent use of a dip! Love the salt idea.

Janna — July 31, 2008 at 5:10 pm

THIS LOOKS MARVELOUS! I need to start back again with BB now that we are settled in the new digs.