Crockpot Keilbasa and Kraut for Oktoberfest!

Joelen is hosting another great event. If you haven’t seen her blog, you’re really missing out. Go check it out (after you finish reading this post otherwise you might not come back!) She hosts tons of events at her place in Chicago and lets bloggers participate virtually through the internet. For the Oktoberfest event, German food and drink are being highlighted. Sounds like my kind of evening!

Hubby made this for the first time a few months ago for our German themed dinner party (same party I made these Plum Rolls for). My mom used to eat sauerkraut when I was younger. I had never tried it because of the smell.

This recipe is amazing. The caramelized onions and apple cider really soak into the kraut and sweeten it up. And, by using the crockpot to cook the meat, it becomes very tender. We’ve made this quite a few times in the past couple of months and I’m very glad I decided to try sauerkraut! The kraut is pretty salty so be sure you have a large glass of water (or your favorite Oktoberfest brew) handy.

Crockpot Keilbasa and Kraut – from RecipeZaar – serves 8 – we usually cut the recipe in half
1 medium onion
2 lbs kielbasa (2 kielbasa)
2 (32 ounce) packages sauerkraut
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider

Slice 1 onion into thin strips and caramelize.

Drain and rinse sauerkraut.

Slice kielbasa into 1-inch lengths.

Combine water, cider and brown sugar.

Combine all ingredients well in crock pot.

Cook on high 6 hours – we cooked on low for about 9 hours and it was done

12 Responses to “Crockpot Cranberry Pork Roast”

Rachel — November 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm

this sounds really good-will be trying this!

Kerstin — November 17, 2009 at 5:56 pm

This looks so tasty and easy to make! I need to get a crockpot.

Megan — November 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I made that recipe last week – and everyone loved it! I only wish I’d gotten pictures…..

oneordinaryday — November 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

This looks wonderful. Bookmarking right now! Thanks!

Ingrid — November 18, 2009 at 3:26 am

Oh, boy this looks wonderful! I love slow cooker recipes like this. What side did you serve with it? Just veggies?

Kat — November 18, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Both your cranberry recipes look great. I am hoping Santa brings me a new crockpot for Christmas as my previous one was nuclear. This recipe looks so easy. I am not a pie fan so am thinking the cranberry apple dessert would be nice for hubby and I for Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing!

Jen — November 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Yep just some steamed veggies.

Kasey — November 23, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious! Thanks for the posting!

Krystal — November 24, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I finally made this recipe after having it bookmarked forever. Thanks to Kelsey for reminding me about it – it was soooo good and it definitely hit the spot!!! Thanks Jen!

Amanda Pronko — December 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I make this every year for Christmas dinner 😀 We always go out for a fancy Christmas Eve dinner, and then we have a huge fancy Christmas Breakfast… by the time Christmas dinner comes around we are wiped out and not really in the mood to cook. This recipe is perfect because I can throw it all in the crock pot on Christmas Eve morning and pop in in the fridge. Then on Christmas day I put it on low and put wild rice in the rice cooker. My family always looks forward to it and we just love how delicious it is. I really wanted to let you know that this has been a tradition for us for about 3-4 years!! Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 11:06 am

I love hearing stories like this! Family traditions are so heart warming during the holidays 🙂

Liz — January 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

Nice recipe – Thank you. I love slow cooker recipes. Have a Happy Weekend!