Zucchini or Summer Squash and Turkey Lasagna

It’s been a while since I’ve been able to participate in Joelen’s Tasty Tools blogging event, and it’s good to be back! I got some ground turkey at the farmer’s market from a local turkey farmer during Color Week. I got a pound out this morning and thought about what to make with the turkey. I always make turkey burgers or pasta with ground turkey but I wanted something different. I didn’t want to make chili because we have a bunch in the freezer. I went to my Google Reader and sure enough I found something that had been starred not too long ago.

I’ve been trying to cut carbs recently so this lasagna with zucchini instead of noodles fit the bill perfectly. I set off to the farmer’s market to get some zucchini. Apparently we must be past the season because no one there had any. Instead I grabbed two big summer squashes. This substitution worked out great. The lasagna was so tasty. I used all dairy-free cheeses in mine so that I could eat it. I doubled the recipe and it just barely fit in my purple 8×8 Pyrex pan.

Zucchini and Turkey Lasagna – from A Good Appetite – I doubled this recipe for 8-9 servings
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
salt
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced – I used 6 for my double batch
1 large zucchini – I used 2 large summer squash for my double batch
15-oz tomato sauce (about 2 cups) – I just used one large jar of sauce for my double batch
3/4 c grated mozzarella – I used Veggie Shreds Mozzarella
freshly grated Parmesan – I used Veggie Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a skillet cook the turkey, red pepper flakes, salt to taste, onion & garlic until the turkey is cooked through & the onions are translucent. I cooked the garlic and onions for a bit first then added the turkey.

Using a peeler or a mandolin, slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin ribbons. The only peeler I could find was on the side of my box cheese grater. It wasn’t very pretty or clean, but it did the job. I didn’t get long continuous ribbons but it was fine.

Spoon just enough tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 5″ x 6″ (8×8 for double batch) baking dish to coat it. Lay 1/3 of the zucchini slices on top of the sauce overlapping as you go.

Spoon 1/2 of the turkey mixture on top of the zucchini. Then top with 1/3 of the remaining tomato sauce & sprinkle with 1/4 c of mozzarella. Add another layer of zucchini slices, using 1/2 of what you have left) then the rest of the meat, 1/2 the remaining sauce & 1/4 c mozzarella. Use the last of the zucchini slices to make one more layer. Top with the remaining tomato sauce & mozzarella & then some grated Parmesan.

Bake for 45 – 60 minutes until the cheese is melted & brown & the sauce is bubbly. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes before slicing & serving.

14 Responses to “Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream”

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — May 31, 2013 at 8:14 am

What a gorgeous chocolate!! I adore deep chocolate ice creams.

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

You would definitely love this then. It’s so rich and chocolatey!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 31, 2013 at 8:19 am

I just got an ice cream maker and cannot wait to start trying it out… this looks a bit above my skill level, but a good thing to work towards!

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:08 am

I completely understand wanting to start out with an easier recipe. Sorbets are really easy. No cooking necessary for most sorbet recipes. But def keep this one in the back of your mind for when you feel more confident!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 31, 2013 at 8:51 am

I made this dark chocolate ice cream last year, and it is definitely the best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had. The 5-day wait time is pure torture, but it’s completely worth it. So glad you enjoyed this as much as I did!

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I agree, it was complete torture, especially after taking a taste after it had processed in the machine…

tracy {pale yellow} — May 31, 2013 at 6:23 pm

A rich, deep chocolate ice cream is worth the wait! It’s so hard to find a recipe for the decadent chocolate ice I desire, this recipe has moved to the top of my to-do list!

Sues — June 3, 2013 at 6:48 am

You can tell just by looking at this how rich and awesome it is!!

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

It’s seriously difficult to scoop it’s so thick!

Shannon — June 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm

wowza, this certainly tell how rich and decadent it is!! i’m appreciating more and more those things that I only need a spoonful of to satisfy 😉

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:53 am

This is definitely one of those things. I love chocolate but could only handle one small scoop at a time.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 7, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Who isn’t a fan of chocolate?! This looks amazing 🙂

Lisa T — June 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I would love to try this recipe. I am wondering why you used coconut milk, and I’m assuming full fat coconut milk?

• beantownbaker — June 16th, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

i use coconut milk because I’m lactose intolerant so I can’t use cow’s milk or heavy cream. If you want to use those dairy products, follow the instructions in the original recipe. And yes, I use full fat coconut milk.