Lime Meltaway Recipe (Bookmarked Recipes)

And now, back to your regularly scheduled blogging… Sorry about all the photography posts recently. I’ve kind of been in a cooking/baking rut recently and haven’t been making blog-worthy food. But I’m back with some posts that should remind everyone that I do love to bake!

I added a star to this recipe when I saw it come into my Google Reader. I made some Lemon Curd cookies earlier this year that everyone loved. It’s very unexpected to eat a cookie that is very bright and citrusey. Don’t get me wrong I love all sorts of chocolate cookies but these sure are a nice change of pace.

This is my second entry in Bookmarked Recipes. Every Monday I see the roundup and every Monday I tell myself that this is the week I’m going to submit a post. The majority of my meals come from other bloggers or Food Network shows so it makes sense.

I ended up almost doubling the amount of lime juice and I forgot to put the food coloring in until the very end, so the green color is a little swirled.

Lime Meltaways – from How to Eat a Cupcake – originally from Martha Stewart – makes 2 dozen
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar – divided into 1/3 cup and 2/3 cup
Finely grated zest of 2 limes
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Put butter and 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (I thought it was weird to use the whisk here, next time I’d use the paddle attachment), and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add lime zest and juice and vanilla, and mix until fluffy.

Whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Add to butter mixture, and mix on low speed until just combined.

Divide dough in half. Place each half on an 8-by-12-inch sheet of parchment paper (I used plastic wrap). Roll in parchment to form a log 1 1/4 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log. Refrigerate logs until cold and firm, at least 1 hour (I let mine chill overnight in the fridge).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove parchment from logs; cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Space rounds 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 13 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, toss cookies with remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 weeks.

11 Responses to “Spice Apple Bars”

Amanda — January 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I wish I could run home & bake these right now! They look so delicious & how could you go wrong with apples & cinnamon? I can’t wait to try these soon.

Katie — January 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm

They look so good! I LOOOVE the cute apple backround too! 🙂 🙂

Joelen — January 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm

These look great!

bensbaby116 — January 28, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I made these from Katie’s blog in the fall and took them to a school function. One of my student’s dads ate several of them. A few weeks later I made chocolate chip cookies because they’re usually a hit with everyone there, and the same dad was like “awww. where are those apple bars? I was hoping for those again.” 🙂 They are truly wonderful!

Jen — January 28, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I agree! These are amazing. I send baked goods with hubby about once a week and these got so many more comments than usual. I’m actually making them again this weekend.

Megan — January 29, 2009 at 4:15 am

I saw that recipe last year, and I wish I had made them. They look so good.

Julie — January 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Free manual labor in exchange for apple bars? Sounds like a deal to me. I’ll have to offer that up next time I have to call a plumber 🙂

Stephanie Wagner — February 17, 2009 at 12:22 am

Scott made these tonight and they were AMAZING! Seriously, AMAZING!

Amanda — February 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I made these this weekend….they were fantastic! At 10 last night Sam had to ask me “are you still eating that apple cake?” Yes. I was. I saved one more piece for after work today!

creativecarryout — February 26, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Oh, my dad would love these. I have an apple bread recipe that he always requests. I’ll bookmark this one to try too. Thanks.
    Michelle

Carly — April 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I made these yesterday and think they are fabulous! So gooey, but so much better the next day! Thankyou for sharing! =)