Watermelon cupcakes

I saw these Watermelon cupcakes in my Google Reader and I thought they were so cute. Like the perfect summery treat. We were going to a cookout last weekend and I immediately thought of these cupcakes. I wanted to be able to pipe the frosting, so I opted not to flavor them with watermelon. I also didn’t think chocolate and watermelon really go together… So I guess mine are just watermelon look-alike cupcakes.

I made the same chocolate chip cupcakes that I made for the 4th of July, but this time I used mini chips and added some pink and red food coloring to the batter. For the frosting, I made my favorite buttercream. I actually made two shades of green that I wanted to swirl together. The swirling didn’t go as planned, so really all you can see is dark green frosting, not the lighter lime green frosting. Everyone enjoyed the summery (looking) cupcakes.
Chocolate Chip cupcakes – adapted from Vanilla cupcakes from Crazy Delicious – original recipe from Martha Stewart – makes 24
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup mini chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp flour (toss to coat chocolate chips)
Few drops pink and red food coloring

Mix the dry ingredients

Add butter

Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla

Add wet ingredients 1/3 at a time to the dry ingredients

Stir in food coloring and chocolate chips – be sure to coat the chips with flour so they don’t all sink to the bottom while baking

Bake for 17-22 minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean

Vanilla and Buttercream

2 sticks butter
7 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk – I used whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Few drops green and yellow food coloring

Beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl

Add 5 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, beat until combined. Add food coloring until desired color is reached.

Add more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you want (not too stiff so that its hard to pipe)

14 Responses to “Triple Layer Oreo Cake”

URBakin'MeCrazyy — February 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm

This look absolutely FABULOUS! 🙂 I love oreo’s… They could quite possibly be my favorite snack food.! I’m defientely adding this recipe to my collection of cakes to bake! Thanks for sharing.

Cupcake Kelly — February 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm

that is one of the MOST impressive cakes I’ve ever seen! You always amaze me with your creativity! very inspirational.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) — February 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm

OMG – I want!!! 😀

Anonymous — December 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm

hi is it ok to use regular coffee?like maxwell?how many teaspoon of maxwell should i use?thanks

Anonymous — January 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

This looks AMAZING! What did you use to hold the Oreos in place on the top? Is that Oreo filling?

Claire — February 10, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Love this cake – made it for my hubby’s 30th! Just a quick question as I had a little trouble with the Oreo filling. It was a bit thin. I think the problem might be the type of cream I used as we don’t have heavy cream in Australia (at least it’s not called heavy cream) so does anyone know what type of cream I should use? Thanks heaps 🙂

nette — December 24, 2012 at 3:38 am

This cake turned out amazing! I omitted the coffee from the frosting and it was perfect without but im sure it would have been prefect with. It was a process to make it but well worth it! Just as good if not better than a bakery cake!

• beantownbaker — December 24th, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Yes, it’s definitely a lot of work, but worth the effort! Glad you enjoyed it.

Tastes of Lizzy T — June 1, 2013 at 5:52 am

Found you on Carole’s Chatter Food on Friday link-up. This cake looks like perfection!! I definitely need to try it soon:)

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

Thanks and welcome! You should definitely make this cake if you like Oreos at all.

Betty Kang — July 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

OMG, I love oreo so much!!! I will try to make this cake someday! Thank you for the delicious recipe!

• beantownbaker — July 22nd, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

It definitely takes a little bit of extra effort, but it’s so worth it!

Karen — June 2, 2014 at 12:46 pm

What size pkg of Oreos? I just came home with one that only has 3 rows, ugh? It’s 14.3 oz. is that the same size? Thanks!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:09 pm

Did that work for you? I will have to check next time I am at the store. I just get the standard size with 3 rows.