Tomatoes stuffed with Salmon Dill Dip (Barefoot Bloggers)

I recently joined yet another blogging group. The Barefoot Bloggers make only recipes from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). While I don’t have any of her cookbooks, I do enjoy watching her on the Food Network. Each month, 2 members get to choose a Barefoot Contessa recipe. Then we all post then on the same day (every other Thursday). So keep an eye out for my BB posts and also check out the blogroll to see everyone else’s posts.

The first BB recipe that I got to make as a Barefoot Blogger is the Smoked Salmon Spread (thanks Ashley for picking this great recipe!) I wanted to spruce it up, so I decided to stuff it into some tomatoes. The dip was very tasty and adding tomatoes into the mix added a freshness. I used a tip I read online somewhere to serve them on a bed of salt. The salt helps to prevent the tomatoes from rolling around.

Smoked Salmon Spread – from Barefoot Contessa Family Style, pg 35
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt – I omitted
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced

Cream the cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.

To stuff tomatoes: I bought Campari tomatoes (they’re a little bigger than a golf ball). I cut a hole in the top then I used the end of a spoon to scoop out the insides including the seeds. I then rinsed in cool water and placed upside down on a paper towel to drain. I put the spread into a plastic bag and cut off the corner so I could pipe a little bit into each tomato. I garnished with fresh dill.

8 Responses to “Great American Taste Test – KFC biscuits”

Stephanie Wagner — September 15, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Looks like these turned out great! I’m surprised they didn’t call for brushing some egg on top of the biscuits before cooking, that might get that top a little crispier…I totally want to make some of these Saturday morning.

Katy ~ — September 16, 2009 at 8:26 am

These look very good to me. I have a favorite biscuit recipe, but want to give these a try because of the buttermilk.

Have been following your blog for a while. Nice blog!

Jen — September 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

I agree Steph. Or maybe just melted butter to give it the color.

tom — September 16, 2009 at 12:51 pm

If you want to compare even more recipes from many of the popular sites, take a look at RecipeComparison.com. Just search for “buttermilk biscuits” and you’ll see all the ingredients nicely laid out in a table with a link to jump directly to each recipe.

Food Lady — March 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

I worked at a KFC in the mid-90s. I had privy to the ingredients lists and methods. The biscuits came frozen and had egg in the dough. We brushed the tops after baking with butter-flavored oil that is commonly used in the restaurant industry. I remember thinking that the egg was unusual; I hadn’t seen many biscuit recipes calling for egg, and I have been baking since I was 8.

Dawn — April 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

kfc.com does not list eggs in their food allergy listing for the biscuits, just an fyi

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I, too, worked at a KFC when I was a teenager. The biscuits were not frozen. It was a bag mix and we mixed it with a large tub of shortening. Then mixed, rolled, cut and baked. We topped with a “liquid butter” substance fresh from the oven. They may make them frozen now, but they didn’t in the early 90’s.

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Oh, and there are NO eggs in the mix. Otherwise, it would be a cake, not a biscuit. That is common baking “science”.