Tomatoes stuffed with Salmon Dill Dip (Barefoot Bloggers)

I recently joined yet another blogging group. The Barefoot Bloggers make only recipes from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). While I don’t have any of her cookbooks, I do enjoy watching her on the Food Network. Each month, 2 members get to choose a Barefoot Contessa recipe. Then we all post then on the same day (every other Thursday). So keep an eye out for my BB posts and also check out the blogroll to see everyone else’s posts.

The first BB recipe that I got to make as a Barefoot Blogger is the Smoked Salmon Spread (thanks Ashley for picking this great recipe!) I wanted to spruce it up, so I decided to stuff it into some tomatoes. The dip was very tasty and adding tomatoes into the mix added a freshness. I used a tip I read online somewhere to serve them on a bed of salt. The salt helps to prevent the tomatoes from rolling around.

Smoked Salmon Spread – from Barefoot Contessa Family Style, pg 35
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt – I omitted
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced

Cream the cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.

To stuff tomatoes: I bought Campari tomatoes (they’re a little bigger than a golf ball). I cut a hole in the top then I used the end of a spoon to scoop out the insides including the seeds. I then rinsed in cool water and placed upside down on a paper towel to drain. I put the spread into a plastic bag and cut off the corner so I could pipe a little bit into each tomato. I garnished with fresh dill.

8 Responses to “Fotography Friday”

Joelen — January 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm

This is such a great idea… and for those who are considering purchasing a DSLR, this will prove to be very helpful too!

Steph — January 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I’m in! I have a Canon Rebel. At one point in time, I’d read most of the manual concurrently with a digital photography book. (yeah, I’m nerdy like that) I found it only helps to know where to change the setting if you know the affect will be on your photo. I can’t wait to brush up and learn some new tricks!! Great idea!

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm

This is a great topic! The flash is so frustrating. Do you want people to share about equipment and hacks that have to do with the flash? I have found that various ways of diffusing/bouncing the flash has the biggest impact on my photos.

As far as your food photos go, have you considered constructing a light box out of white foam core and a couple clip lights? It would allow you to take your photos even at night but still feel bright and cheery! Just an idea. 🙂

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Amy – feel free to post about whatever you want. The point is to share what you’ve learned about how to make the flash work for you. I’d love to hear what you do when you use your flash.

I have considered a light box. I had one on my Xmas list 🙂 I’m just worried about storing it in our tiny condo. For now, I just wait for daylight but I would like a light box in the future.

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Totally understanding the lightbox storage concerns. I’m thinking that I’m going to get some white foam core from the store today and play with making one that breaks down easily into a flat stack. I’ll post my experiment. 🙂

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Yea Steph said she was going to make on today. This is the one I had on my Xmas list. I still might get it since it folds up.

Amy Kingman — January 4, 2009 at 1:29 am

Ok, I made a collapsible version of the light box today with your situation in mind. 🙂 Can’t beat that nylon one you’re looking at, but for $6 this one does a pretty good job! Thanks for the challenge! Here’s the light box.

Sara Therese — January 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Jen! This is JUST the kind of help I’ve been looking for when it comes to taking pictures. Great idea for Foto Friday! I’m really excited. 🙂