Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry frosting

Two of our cousins graduated from college earlier this summer. They had a joint graduation party and I volunteered to bring cupcakes. When Aunt J said she wanted 6 dozen, I felt up to the challenge. I made 3 flavors – strawberry, champagne, and Oreo.

These strawberry cupcakes lived up to everything I’ve read about them in various other blogs that I follow. They are very moist and strawberry-ey. They are a perfect summer cupcake.

Angie’s Famous Strawberry Cupcakes – from Katie’s blog
2 1/2 c. cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. sugar (or a little less)
2 eggs
1/3 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c. chopped strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 cupcake pans.

Sift flour, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl.

In bowl of mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Fold in berries. Fill cupcake pans 3/4 way. Bake for 20 minutes.

Strawberry cream cheese frosting – from Katie’s blog
1/4 c. strawberries
1 Tbsp. strawberry liquor (I used Triple-Sec)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 Tbsp vanilla

Put berries, liquor, and juice in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool then blend until smooth.

In bowl of mixer mix cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add sugar, then vanilla. Add berry puree until smooth.

Frost cupcakes when they are completely cooled

12 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting”

SimplySweeter — May 5, 2010 at 11:56 am

Oh yum Jen! These look absolutely delicious! What a great July 4th treat…..maybe split them and serve ’em up like a Strawberry Shortcake??? Yum.

KV — May 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Hi Jen, by any chance do you remember about how many strawberries you used for the recipe and also for filling? I have maybe 10-15 strawberries at home that need to be used asap and wondered if that was enough?

Jen — May 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm

KV – Sorry I don’t. We had a big thing of strawberries in the fridge that Hubby had cut up for us to snack on. I would say it was less than a pint, but pretty close to a pint? Not really sure. Sorry I can’t be more help.

hannah! — May 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

strawberries are my favorite fruit ever! in my opinion, they always should be enjoyed fresh no matter what. even in desserts! 😀 your cupcakes look great, by the wayaoh

Cupcake Activist — May 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I’ve heard that strawberry cake doesn’t end up being that sweet, but maybe the addition of fresh strawberries on top changes things. I’m a huge strawberry fan, so I’m anxious to try this.

Jen — May 5, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Cupcake Activist – I could definitely see that the batter itself might not be that sweet. I thought they were great with the additional strawberries added in.

Kerstin — May 5, 2010 at 8:07 pm

This looks divine. I made the Sky High strawberry cake with frozen berries and I thought it was really good, but I’d like to try again with fresh ones too! Your hubby has some very luck coworkers 🙂

Brisbane Baker — May 6, 2010 at 11:12 am

Love this recipe.. infact all of your cupcake recipes. I made your Fauxtess cupcakes the other day and turned out wonderfully.. This is now on my wish list. :

We Are Not Martha — May 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm

These look so simple and beautiful! I love strawberry cake and I especially love the way the fresh strawberries look inside 🙂

Sues

Miss. Tarrah Dame — May 19, 2010 at 2:17 am

cant go wrong with strawberry…just made strawberry marscapone filled cupcakes myself! 🙂

soohyunee — May 25, 2010 at 12:01 am

I love how you frosted these cupcakes!! did you start from the inside and go out with a 1M tip?

Jen — May 25, 2010 at 12:03 am

Yes, soohyunee, to make the rosette, I started in the center and swirled around to the outside.