Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry frosting

Two of our cousins graduated from college earlier this summer. They had a joint graduation party and I volunteered to bring cupcakes. When Aunt J said she wanted 6 dozen, I felt up to the challenge. I made 3 flavors – strawberry, champagne, and Oreo.

These strawberry cupcakes lived up to everything I’ve read about them in various other blogs that I follow. They are very moist and strawberry-ey. They are a perfect summer cupcake.

Angie’s Famous Strawberry Cupcakes – from Katie’s blog
2 1/2 c. cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. sugar (or a little less)
2 eggs
1/3 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c. chopped strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2 cupcake pans.

Sift flour, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl.

In bowl of mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Fold in berries. Fill cupcake pans 3/4 way. Bake for 20 minutes.

Strawberry cream cheese frosting – from Katie’s blog
1/4 c. strawberries
1 Tbsp. strawberry liquor (I used Triple-Sec)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 Tbsp vanilla

Put berries, liquor, and juice in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool then blend until smooth.

In bowl of mixer mix cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add sugar, then vanilla. Add berry puree until smooth.

Frost cupcakes when they are completely cooled

7 Responses to “New York Style Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce”

Jigginjessica — May 11, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Besides the top being a little brown it looks like a perfect cheesecake! I absolutely must try this recipe. Thanks for sharing

The Small Boston Kitchen — May 12, 2011 at 2:50 am

Amber — March 18, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Can I use dried blue berries for the sauce.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

I haven’t tried this sauce with dried berries. I am not sure it would work very well without the addition of some liquid. Maybe some fruit juice?

Carol Schu — June 5, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Just made this cheesecake for dinner guests. It was a big hit. I didn’t have any trouble with burning but the top came out spotted with brown instead of the lovely smooth top. No matter, I covered it with blueberry topping and no one cared. Oh, and… It didn’t crack but I left it in the oven until it was completely cooled. Thanks!!

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

Glad it was a success for you! And yay for no cracking 🙂

marie williams — January 19, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Blueberry sauce…
    I looked at least 20 recipes and this was the best for simplicity of ingredients.

It didn’t require vanilla, or zest of lemon (which would require a grater$$)

And best of all it did not require a ton of sugar. I am not much of a cook however your easy to understand directions. And it was great.