Red White and Blue No-Bake Frozen Cupcakes

When I think of the perfect summer dessert, it’s something cool and fresh. I love fresh blueberries and strawberries in the summer time. Add a big dollop of whipped cream and maybe some angel food cake and the dessert reminds me of summertime.

When the Cupcake Hero theme was announced to be Red White and Blue, I immediately thought of strawberry and blueberry. I’m not a huge fan of berries baked into cakes. SO when I saw this recipe in my Google Reader, I thought it could be a great in the form of a cupcake.
I adjusted the recipe by adding blueberries and making it into cupcakes instead of a loaf. Check out all those chunks of strawberry and blueberry!!

Red White and Blue Frozen Cupcakes – Adapted from Megans Cookin (originally from Cool Whip) – makes 12
2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
1 cup fresh blueberries, chopped
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used low fat)
1/4 cup lemon juice (I forgot it, but use it if you have it)
1 tub (8 oz.) Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
8 OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Line muffin tin with foil cupcake papers. Mash the berries in large bowl (I used a food processor). Add condensed milk, juice and 2 cups of the whipped topping; mix well.

Mix chopped cookies and butter. Spoon 1 Tbsp of the cookie mixture into the bottom of the cupcake liners. Fill cupcake tins to the top with the berry mixture (I filled mine really full).

Freeze 6 hours or until firm. Spread or pipe remaining whipped topping onto top of the cupcakes. Decorate with more fresh berries or cookie crumbs, or even some fresh mint. Store leftovers in freezer.

18 Responses to “Samoas Rice Krispies Treats”

Monica — February 10, 2014 at 8:49 am

If Carlos claims this is the best thing you have ever made … I might have to make them tonight!

• beantownbaker — February 10th, 2014 @ 9:57 am

Let me know if you do. I was seriously SHOCKED when he said that.

erin — February 10, 2014 at 10:14 am

OH. MY. LORD.

Aimee@shugarysweets — February 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Yeah, I can see why these are the best ever!!!! Love Samoas!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — February 10, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I grew up calling them Samoas and didn’t like them when I was selling them, but have since grown to love them. Great twist on a traditional rice krispie treat!

• beantownbaker — February 11th, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

I can’t tell if the naming thing is regional or not. I know people who grew up in Indiana like me who call them Samoas. They’ll always be Caramel Delites to me.

Dina — February 11, 2014 at 11:41 am

they look sooooo good!

vanillasugarblog — February 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Sharing these in my friday link roundup!
    Everyone needs to see these!

• beantownbaker — February 13th, 2014 @ 8:49 pm

Thanks for sharing them!!

Shannon — February 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm

oh jeez. caramel de lites here, too 🙂 these sound killer!

• beantownbaker — February 23rd, 2014 @ 12:47 pm

You’re the first person I’ve met who calls them Caramel de Lites too!

Shikha @ Shikha la mode — February 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I’ve been wondering why they aren’t always called Samoas!

stephanie — March 18, 2014 at 7:48 am

Are the pecans there for the Samoa flavor or just an extra addition?

• beantownbaker — March 18th, 2014 @ 8:03 am

They add some texture but you could leave them out if you wanted.

Justin — March 19, 2014 at 9:47 am

Awesome recipe! Let me provide a little insight to the naming of the cookies (Caramel deLights vs Samoas my wife is a girl scout troop leader). The girl scouts rely on a few bakeries to produce their cookies. Caramel deLights are made by one bakery, while Samoas are made by another.

Erin — April 12, 2014 at 9:25 am

Just made these – very tasty, but I had a lot of trouble with the caramel layer. It hardened so much, I couldn’t cut the squares. I had to heat them up a bit to cut through the caramel, and then they got rather sticky and did not cut cleanly. Followed directions exactly, not sure what went wrong…

Shannon C — May 19, 2014 at 5:40 pm

On Sunday nights, my hubby leads a college-age Bible study group and I use the kids/young adults as my guinea pigs for trying new recipes. I made these yesterday and they LOVED them. Thank you for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

So glad these were a hit for you! This has become my most frequently made and requested recipe that I’ve made.