Red White and Blue No-Bake Frozen Cupcakes

When I think of the perfect summer dessert, it’s something cool and fresh. I love fresh blueberries and strawberries in the summer time. Add a big dollop of whipped cream and maybe some angel food cake and the dessert reminds me of summertime.

When the Cupcake Hero theme was announced to be Red White and Blue, I immediately thought of strawberry and blueberry. I’m not a huge fan of berries baked into cakes. SO when I saw this recipe in my Google Reader, I thought it could be a great in the form of a cupcake.
I adjusted the recipe by adding blueberries and making it into cupcakes instead of a loaf. Check out all those chunks of strawberry and blueberry!!

Red White and Blue Frozen Cupcakes – Adapted from Megans Cookin (originally from Cool Whip) – makes 12
2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
1 cup fresh blueberries, chopped
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used low fat)
1/4 cup lemon juice (I forgot it, but use it if you have it)
1 tub (8 oz.) Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
8 OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Line muffin tin with foil cupcake papers. Mash the berries in large bowl (I used a food processor). Add condensed milk, juice and 2 cups of the whipped topping; mix well.

Mix chopped cookies and butter. Spoon 1 Tbsp of the cookie mixture into the bottom of the cupcake liners. Fill cupcake tins to the top with the berry mixture (I filled mine really full).

Freeze 6 hours or until firm. Spread or pipe remaining whipped topping onto top of the cupcakes. Decorate with more fresh berries or cookie crumbs, or even some fresh mint. Store leftovers in freezer.

10 Responses to “Blueberry Curd”

ErickaJo — July 20, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Loving the look of this recipe. Is it tart enough so that I could can it using using the water bath method, or do you think I should employ pressure? I’m about to come into a dozen pints of blueberries, and I’m trying to be creative. 🙂

Domi — July 14, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Ohmygodness! I made it and I’m in love! 🙂

Greetings from Poland!

• beantownbaker — July 14th, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

So glad you enjoyed this! Glad to have a friend in Poland 🙂

Alison's Wonderland Recipes — June 26, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I made your curd as part of my newest recipe (Eeyore’s Birthday Cake–angel food cake with blueberry curd filling), and I just wanted to say that it turned out fantastic! The curd was really easy to make and super delicious. 🙂

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:16 pm

So glad you enjoyed this curd recipe!

Lisa L. Dean — July 2, 2014 at 8:34 pm

how much would I need to fill a 3 layer cake.. its for my wedding and I am looking for an easy recipe.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:18 pm

Hope this worked well for you. I used one batch for a triple layer cake.

Diane Welsh — January 27, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I was thinking about making this for a shower cake do you know if it would blueberry curd freezes well?

mystereons41 — April 2, 2015 at 11:51 am

So I’m not sure what I did wrong, but I just made this recipe and it seems something went awry. It didn’t come out very purple, more like a bluish gray, and it doesn’t really taste like blueberries. I used 1 cup of frozen blueberries. Did I use the wrong kind of blueberries maybe?

Cynthia — January 31, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Hello is it possible to can this recipe?