Red White and Blue No-Bake Frozen Cupcakes

When I think of the perfect summer dessert, it’s something cool and fresh. I love fresh blueberries and strawberries in the summer time. Add a big dollop of whipped cream and maybe some angel food cake and the dessert reminds me of summertime.

When the Cupcake Hero theme was announced to be Red White and Blue, I immediately thought of strawberry and blueberry. I’m not a huge fan of berries baked into cakes. SO when I saw this recipe in my Google Reader, I thought it could be a great in the form of a cupcake.
I adjusted the recipe by adding blueberries and making it into cupcakes instead of a loaf. Check out all those chunks of strawberry and blueberry!!

Red White and Blue Frozen Cupcakes – Adapted from Megans Cookin (originally from Cool Whip) – makes 12
2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
1 cup fresh blueberries, chopped
1 can (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used low fat)
1/4 cup lemon juice (I forgot it, but use it if you have it)
1 tub (8 oz.) Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
8 OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Line muffin tin with foil cupcake papers. Mash the berries in large bowl (I used a food processor). Add condensed milk, juice and 2 cups of the whipped topping; mix well.

Mix chopped cookies and butter. Spoon 1 Tbsp of the cookie mixture into the bottom of the cupcake liners. Fill cupcake tins to the top with the berry mixture (I filled mine really full).

Freeze 6 hours or until firm. Spread or pipe remaining whipped topping onto top of the cupcakes. Decorate with more fresh berries or cookie crumbs, or even some fresh mint. Store leftovers in freezer.

16 Responses to “Coconut Layer Cake Filled with Lemon Curd”

Erica @ Inandaroundtown — April 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm

WOW – I would like to have a piece of that cake as soon as possible! looks beautiful and delicious!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — April 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

This cake looks beautiful and I love the addition of toasted coconut!

Christina — April 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I love love cakes with coconut. So delicious.

Maria — April 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Beautiful cake!

DeliciousDish — April 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Totally agree – the more layers the better! The cake looks stunning!

Paula Kelly-Bourque — April 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Had I been at your dinner party you wouldn’t have had to cook anything. I would have just completely indulged in this gorgeous cake!

Evan — April 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This cake looks incredible! coconut and lemon are two of my favorite flavors; I’m glad you don’t have to choose one or the other with this recipe.

Bianca Garcia — April 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

This sounds wonderful. Coconut with lemon curd, yummmm!

Taryn — April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

This looks fantastic – so springy and beautiful, and absolutely delish 🙂

ammy 92 — April 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm

what a wonderful cake!

ErinsFoodFiles — April 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Beautiful cake! I’ve been craving a coconut cake, but I know too many people who don’t like coconut cake that if I made it I wouldn’t have anyone to share. Boo.

Shannon — April 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm

ooh, fabulous. love the lemon curd-coconut combo, and in a layer cake, fun!!

A Boston Food Diary — April 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

OF COURSE 4 is better than 2!!! This looks amazing….I love the idea of lemon and coconut together-and it’s gorgeous!

Aimee — April 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love lemon curd, love coconut, especially love a cake that lets me “frost” the sides with ease. This looks so yummy!!

Nutmeg Nanny — April 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Such a delicious cake! I honestly didn’t know a 6 inch was half of a 9 inch….thank you 🙂

Kelly Jaremco — April 29, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I told my girlfriend I would bake her a cake for her birthday this Sunday !!! I got lemon curd and coconut stuck in my brain, so I started googling… which led me to your page !!! This recipie looks almost perfect !!

Couple questions…

Do you think the coconut extract was too strong for the cake, because you also have the browned coconut pcs too? I was considering vanilla bean cake, lemon curd and toasted coconut on the outside… but perhaps that wouldn’t be enough coconut flavour…. your thoughts?

Lastly… what did you use as the frosting to keep the toasted coconut on? It looks like whipping cream…. ?!?!?

Thanks !!!