Dirty Laundry for Dinner ? (Ropa Vieja recipe)

My hubby is half Cuban. I love when he cooks Cuban food for me. He always told me about Ropa Vieja because he loved it as a child and it means “Dirty Laundry” I found this recipe and wanted to give it a shot this week since it has bell peppers in it.

The outcome: it was very good. The meat was tender and flavorful. We served it with brown rice and tostones (fried plantains) but it would also make a great sandwich.

Ropa Vieja in a crockpot (from Allrecipes.com)*Note – based on the reviews of this recipe, I changed it around quite a bit – I’m posting what I did, click the link above to see original and reviews 2 pounds beef flank steak
6 cloves garlic
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 sweet onions, cut in wedges
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Place meat into slow cooker with the garlic, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir the tomato paste into the vinegar until dissolved; pour into slow cooker. Add the chopped vegetables to crockpot.

Cover, and cook on Low until the beef is tender, 7 to 8 hours; then remove beef, and shred. Place meat back in crockpot.

Cook on High about 1 to 2 hours.

10 Responses to “Roasted Beets, Turnips, and Carrots”

SHERRY MURPHY — February 7, 2013 at 5:40 am

fig vinegar? i am assuming this is the balsamic vinegar?

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:34 am

I fixed the recipe to be consistent. Any dark flavored vinegar that you enjoy would be perfect in this recipe.

Hani@haniela's — February 7, 2013 at 10:23 pm

This dish sounds delicious, I love roasting veggies.

• beantownbaker — February 8th, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Me too. In fact it’s pretty much the only way I prepare veggies…

Liz @ EatingPlaces — February 10, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love roasted veggies, especially beets! Looks beautiful.

• beantownbaker — February 11th, 2013 @ 11:21 am

Beets are one of my favorites too. Can you believe I had never had one until a couple years ago?!?

Mike — October 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I used 4 tbs butter and 4 tbs olive oil.
    Tossed vegatables, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, 2 tsp or so dry sage and 2 tsp or so dry rosemary in large bowl and then spread on two baking sheets.
    Roasted for 30 minutes and then rotated cooking sheets in oven and roasted for another 30 minutes. No stirring required

Added 4 smoked Polish sausages cut into 1″ pieces for last 30 minutes.

Next time I will line cooking sheets with foil to make cleanup simpler.

A real keeper!!

• beantownbaker — October 28th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

What a great addition with the sausages!!

Zanne — March 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I had a beet that was wasting away in the fridge and a lonely turnip too. So I added them and 2 large carrots, all peeled and chunked, into a baking dish. Topped with 2 Tbsp sliced butter, coated with 2 tsp dried sage, half tsp rosemary, salt & pepper. After 1 hour in the oven, stirred, splashed with apple cider vinegar, and served. Very satisfying, and a nice accompaniment to roast chicken. Thanks for sharing!