Cookie Carnival – Blueberry Lemon Cookies

I’ve been getting the Cookie Carnival emails for a few months now but haven’t had a chance to make the recipe. Kate over at the Clean Plate Club chooses a cookie each month and sends the recipe to everyone. We all make the same cookie and post about it. It’s a great way to celebrate the cookie!

This month, I was intrigued by the idea of blueberries in a cookie so I wanted to give it a shot. Hubby and I started calling these breakfast cookies because they tasted like muffin tops. They turned out to be a cakey cookie which I love. We ate these up in no time. I would definitely make these again. The batter looked like blueberry ice cream when it came out of the fridge. I could have eaten the entire batch uncooked!
Blueberry Drop Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries, rinsed and picked over – I used frozen blueberries
In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, egg, milk, almond extract and lemon zest, mixing well after the addition of each ingredient. Slowly add the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold in the blueberries and mix until well blended.

Cover and chill for 4 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls, one and one-half inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing them with a spatula.

Makes about 4 dozen.

12 Responses to “Spiced Caramel Apple Pie”

amanda @ fake ginger — October 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I think I use my apple corer once a month but the time it saves me is so worth storing it!

The pie looks beyond delicious. I haven’t been feeling apple desserts this year but this is one I could get into.

Sarah — October 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I am making Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year and I think this pie is definitely going to make it to my table!

Jen — October 15, 2010 at 3:59 pm

This pie would def be great for Thanksgiving dinner Sarah!

Cara! — October 15, 2010 at 4:00 pm

This pie looks incredible! My husband loves apple pie and I am planning on making this for him!

Boston Food Diary — October 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Um seriously-this looks ridiculous! I always think that my moms apple pie is the best but…

Megan — October 15, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I’m not a huge fan of apple pie (I make it for a certain someone I live with), but an apple pie with a crisp-like topping and spiced filling is one I could definitely get behind.

And I seriously want one of theose peeler/corer/slicer things. Every year I go to Freeport and inevitably someone in LL Bean is demo-ing one.

Alisa — October 16, 2010 at 9:44 am

Now that’s a delicious apple pie!I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll and I like what you have here.if you won’t mind I’d love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget at the end of this post and it’s all set, Thanks!

newlywed — October 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Looks delcious! I love my apple peeler/corer/slicer machine. I use it for crisps, apple cakes, applesauce, etc. My husband packs my lunch too…it is nice to be spoiled!

becksterslaboratory — October 17, 2010 at 12:35 am

We LOVE apple desserts in our house…I’ve bookmarked this delicious looking pie and will try it soon! : )

tobiascooks! — October 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Beautiful treat. Look so yummy.

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2010 at 2:36 am

Ok it’s been decided….I’m making this for Thanksgiving! Amazing!!!

Eliana — October 21, 2010 at 8:25 pm

What an awesome twist on apple pie! It looks stellar Jen. Bravo!