American Idol and Cupcake Hero collide…

After taking a month off of cupcake hero, I’m back. This cupcake isn’t a creative recipe, but it does use cocoa powder! I have some other more creative ideas brewing in my head that I want to try out for another entry. BUT, I thought it was fitting to submit my Idol finale cupcakes. This is my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I actually got the recipe from the CH founder herself. I always add another level of chocolate by throwing in some chocolate chips at the end. They melt just enough to give a fudgey center to the cupcake. This recipe is so good and always turns out perfectly. My little sister has also made them with great success.
I threw these together for an American Idol finale party that I’m going to tonight. I’ve been a David Cook fan from the beginning. There was just something different about him that I was drawn to.
After last night’s performances, I’d have to say that I think David Archuletta is going to win. While this makes me sad, I know David Cook will get a record deal and he’ll be okay. I personally don’t think David Archuletta has what it takes to be a pop star. His voice and style lends himself more towards signing for Disney movies or at King’s Island or something like that. David Cook on the other hand could sell records today. Heck he could have started selling records after he performed Billy Jean a couple weeks ago. Although I do agree with Cooky critics that he may have peaked too early…
I whipped up some cream cheese frosting and added blue and silver sprinkles. And little David heads to the cupcakes. Hubby said the heads were kinda creepy, but I think they’re cute. I would have just put all David Cook heads on, but I figured some people at the party might not appreciate it.

Chocolate Cupcakes – recipe from Quirky Cupcake
Makes 12 to 15 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour – I use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder – I used Ghirardelli cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesuace
1 cup cold water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vinegar
3/4 cup chocolate chips + 1 Tbsp flour

To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a 12-cupcake tin with foil or paper liners and set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. In a 2-cup measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, water, and vanilla.

Mix the chocolate chips and flour in a ziploc bag or tupperware container. Shake until chips are coated by flour. This is prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cupcake while baking.

Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter where the baking soda and the vinegar are reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Working quickly, distribute the batter into the foil- or paper-lined 12-cupcake tin. If you have leftover batter (depending on how high you fill the liners) you can make a few extra cupcakes by using a few foil liners on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes. Set the cupcakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
4 oz cream cheese at room temp – I used Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
1/2 stick butter at room temp – I used Earth Balance
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.

Add vanilla extract.

Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.

22 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes”

DeliciousDish — March 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I NEED to make these. I might just start on them tonight!

Nutmeg Nanny — March 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm

These look amazing! I would go into a sugar coma because I would probably want to eat at least three of these gems…haha.

Melissa — March 30, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh wow these are my dream dessert! I hope you bring these ones to Cupcake Camp!!

Erin — March 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I too have been meaning to make these cupcakes since I first saw them on the internet. I love that you combined several recipes from different bloggers. Awesome recipes, unite!

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Like I said, it’s a multi-step process, so starting part of it tonight might be a good idea. If you make them, I definitely want one. These were so good.

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh that’s a thought… I still haven’t decided what I’m baking for Cupcake Camp…

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Definitely give it a shot. They take some time, but it’s SO worth it.

Shannon — March 30, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these for quite a while as well. My mother-in-law LOVES cookie dough and her birthday is coming up. From all the versions I’ve seen floating around on the internet, I really like yours since you have the LOTS of cookie dough in the middle of your cupcakes. So, you baked the cupcakes with the frozen cookie dough inside? No problems with it baking up? I’m definitely trying this!

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Yep, just dropped the dough into the cupcake batter before baking it. The cupcakes did rise up quite a bit and then sank back down as they cooled. I was a little concerned I had underbaked them, but they were delicious. Definitely let me know how they turn out for you if you make them.

Jessica — March 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm

oh my Lord these look amazing! I’m having a girls night next weekend and I’m def going to try these! Thanks!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — March 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Once again Jen, you impress me with your creativity!

Sarah C — March 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I want, no NEED, to make these. Does it matter what size your cookie scoop is? Mine is a medium size with about 1.5 tbsp volume. Want to make sure it won’t be too much that it prevents the cupcake from baking up (because honestly, it’s not possible for it to be too much cookie dough).

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m honestly not sure what size my cookie scoop is. It doesn’t have any markings on it to give an indication! I think it’s the standard cookie scoop you’d get at the grocery store if that helps at all… I think 1.5 Tbsp sounds about right though.

Carrie — March 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’m already trying to decide what occasion to make them for.

Cara — March 31, 2011 at 2:07 am

I’m still waiting to try these. Just sayin’. 😉

ErinsFoodFiles — March 31, 2011 at 3:14 am

WOW! Talk about decadent!

beantownbaker — March 31, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Well I *might* be making these for Cupcake Camp. So, if you make the trip into Boston for that, you might be able to have one! Too bad they’re not appropriate for Passover.

Rebel Mel — March 31, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Who needs dessert at 8am???

I’ll give you one hint.

Me.

😉

Bookmarking this! I’ve been meaning to make these cupcakes for a while now!

DyingforChocolate.com — April 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Will be making these soon. What a great twist.. the cookie is actually a cookie in the baking process. Yum!

Jene — April 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

OH. EM. GEE. I’m SO making these for euchre night on Saturday, just to have an excuse.

Lovemytheekidz — March 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I found this recipeast summer and have made it several times for my oldest child, who has requested it again-for her sweet sixteen birthday. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

So glad you enjoy it! This is one of our favorite cupcake recipes of all time.