Plum Rolls Recipe (Zwetschgenschnecken)

The theme for our latest dinner club was German food. I wanted to make an authentic German dessert. Of course, my first thought was German chocolate cake. But I thought it would be too expected and wanted to find something else. I headed over to Allrecipes.com to find something tasty. I’m not sure how authentic these are, but they sure tasted great.

I’ve actually never had plums before so I didn’t know what to expect. I would say that if a peach and a cherry had a baby, it would be a plum.

The dough for the plum rolls is a cream cheese based dough (similar to the dough used here), which I’m a big fan of! I actually made the rolls at my house but baked them at the dinner club. We always watch a movie, so the rolls baked while we were watching the movie and then I served them hot with ice cream on top. Everyone ate these right up! The almonds add a great flavor and texture combination

German Plum Rolls (Zwetschgenschnecken) – from Allrecipes.com
1 cup chopped almonds
1 1/3 cups cream cheese – I used Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
1/2 cup milk – I used soymilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 pinch salt
5/8 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking powder
7/8 cup plum butter – you can find this near the preserves at your grocery store
1 3/4 pounds plums, pitted and diced
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10-inch springform pan.

Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Toast the almonds in the hot skillet until they turn brown; set aside to cool.

Combine the cream cheese, milk, oil, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix in the flour and baking powder; knead together until smooth. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll the dough into a 20-inch square. Spread the plum butter, plums, and toasted almonds over the dough. Roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll. Cut into 12 even slices. Arrange rolls in prepared pan. Brush butter over top of the rolls.

Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 40 to 55 minutes.

9 Responses to “Strawberry Blueberry Jam”

yumventures — June 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

Mmm I love jam, and this looks great for strawberry season! I unfortunately don’t like blueberries — would you adjust the other ingredients if you minus them? Also where do you get canning jars? Yay, fun summer project!

Jen — June 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm

yumventures – You can def leave the blueberries out. Follow the link through to Ina’s original recipe. It doesn’t have blueberries in it. The comments on the Food Network website did say that it was a bit sweet with the sugar listed in the recipe, so keep that in mind.

Katherine — June 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I’ve never made homemade jam before…but wow this sure does look delicious!

It would be great in some thumbprint cookies or linzer cookies…yumm.

laurasrecipecollection.com — June 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I’ve never had strawberry & blueberry jam before. That looks divine!

themilkmanswife — June 3, 2010 at 1:41 am

Oh, this looks wonderful! I’ve never made jam before but it’s on my list of things to try, this looks like the perfect way to get started. I love berry combos like this. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Sarah — June 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Does this recipe require pectin? I’ve heard that pectin is found naturally in raspberries so you don’t need it for that kind of jam, but wasn’t sure if it applied to strawberry as well. I am new to making jam but am excited to try!

Jen — June 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Sarah – This recipe does not require pectin.

Vickie — June 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hey there.. I have done your strawberry/blueberry jam, and I’m tellin ya,, it was sooooo goooood. Not too sweet either. My problem was, it never would really thicken, and I checked it on a saucer I kept in the freezer. It remained runny,, but ohh sooo good. I gave it away to family and they loved it. I’m just preparing to do more,, fingers crossed, I do hope it gets a little thicker this time. If I were to put the slightest amount of pectin I’m wondering what would happen?????? I noticed this posting is from 2010

• beantownbaker — June 15th, 2013 @ 11:44 am

I think a little bit of pectin could help thicken the jam. If you try it, I’d love to know how it turns out.