Perfect Summer Salsa Recipe

Vindicate the Vegetable is by far my favorite new blogging event. I participate in so many that revolve around baking that they really aren’t helping my waistline. But an event that revolves around vegetables sounds like a great way to help us try new veggies or new ways to make the same old veggies.

Hubby and I LOVE avocados. Actually, I had never had one or even tasted guacamole until about this time last year. Man, was I missing out.

This “dip” is a classic recipe that I always get asked to bring. It’s so simple and just tastes like summer to me. I think it originally came from a WW recipe but I added avocado to make it even better.

Summer Salsa Dip – by ME!
This makes a LOT of dip. Feel free to play with the ratio of ingredients. This is what I like best. I like to top chicken with it as well.
4 large tomatoes – seeded and diced (it’s really worth the extra effort to seed the tomatoes)
2 avocados – diced
1 small red onion – diced
1/2 bag frozen corn
1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
large handful of cilantro – chopped
juice of 1 lime
2 garlic cloves – minced
salt to taste

After chopping and prepping everything, mix in a large bowl. I don’t like spicy food, but hot pepper could be added to kick it up a notch.

Serve the dip with scoop chips.

Note: if you need to make this ahead of time, chop everything except the avocado. Store in the fridge and then just prior to serving, cube the avocado and stir together.

10 Responses to “Mexican Shrimp Cobb Salad”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — April 29, 2013 at 11:15 am

You probably saved a few calories too, by subbing the ham for shrimp! This looks amazing and I love the Mexican flavors.

• beantownbaker — April 29th, 2013 @ 12:16 pm

This is definitely a little bit lighter than a normal cobb salad.

Megan — April 29, 2013 at 11:46 am

I love this take on a cobb salad. The flavors all sound so fresh and bright!

Shannon — April 30, 2013 at 10:36 am

yum! this looks like one absolutely delicious salad. definitely starting to crave more salads, so this is sure to get into the rotation 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 14th, 2013 @ 7:21 am

I’ve been craving salads a lot too recently. I’m so glad spring is finally here.

Nutmeg Nanny — May 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Oh yum, I love cobb salad 🙂 this looks great!

Beth — July 19, 2013 at 7:00 pm

made this for dinner tonight…served the avocado and dressing on the side…everyone and I mean everyone went crazy over this….seconds were had and on a hot night like this it hit the spot…every bite brought out a new flavor..so so good…I follow a lot of blogs and make there recipes but none as much as yours…your recipes are easy, economical and full of flavor….and I love how you do a little bit of everything…keep them coming girl ….

• beantownbaker — July 21st, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words! So glad you enjoyed this salad. It’s SO flavorful.

nicole @ i am a Honey Bee — August 27, 2013 at 7:55 am

ooo I sooo need this.
    My mom is coming up for a Labor DAy visit. I think this NEEDS to be made. noms

• beantownbaker — August 27th, 2013 @ 7:58 am

It makes a big salad – so it’s perfect for serving to guests!