Tasty Tools: Lemon & Key Lime Curd

I just found out in January that I love lemon curd. Who knew!?! I had never eaten it let alone made it prior to the DB Lemon Meringue Pie. When Joelen announced her new blogging event, Tasty Tools, I instantly thought of lemon curd. This event encourages you to use the specified tool to create anything you want. Then when the round-up occurs, you can learn some new recipes to make using your various kitchen tools. Very creative event Joelen! The inaugural tool is the microplane/zester.

I love my microplane. Right now the only things I really use it for is to zest citrus fruit. I can’t wait to see the round-up to learn all the creative things that other food bloggers do with their microplanes.

I decided to make lemon curd again, but I didn’t want to cheat the event by just recreating a recipe I’ve already tried. So I decided to try a new recipe. I also decided to make lemon curd and key lime curd this time around. I made a 1/2 batch of lemon curd and a 1/4 batch of the key lime curd.

I used this calculator to get my grams to cups conversion.

Lemon Curd – from Cherrapeño – originally from Delia Smith
grated zest and juice 4 large juicy lemons
4 large eggs
12 oz (350 g or 1 3/4 cup) golden caster sugar
8 oz (225 g or 16 Tbsp) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small lumps
1 level dessertspoon (2 tsp) cornflour

Begin by lightly whisking the eggs in a medium-sized saucepan, then add the rest of the ingredients and place the saucepan over a medium heat. Now whisk continuously using a balloon whisk until the mixture thickens – about 7-8 minutes. Next, lower the heat to its minimum setting and let the curd gently simmer for a further minute, continuing to whisk. After that, remove it from the heat.

Now pour the lemon curd into the hot, sterilised jars, filling them as full as possible, cover straightaway with waxed discs, seal while it is still hot and label when it is cold. It will keep for several weeks, but it must be stored in a cool place.

17 Responses to “Rhubarb Rolls”

Ellie — May 21, 2009 at 1:48 pm

How cool! These look delicious!

Molly Jean — May 21, 2009 at 1:59 pm

This totally takes me back to childhood. We ALWAYS used fresh rhubarb from our backyard to make yummy breakfast treats!

I think I will have to make these for my parents next time they visit. They will LOVE them!

Holly — May 21, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Those look amazing! I’m always on the lookout for new rhubarb recipes, the season for it is so short in Western Ma, that I tend to buy WAY too much and stick in the freezer..

thecookingnurse — May 21, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I have never had rhubarb before, but these look great!

Kerstin — May 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm

They’re so pretty – I love family recipes!

Stephanie Wagner — May 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I never know what to do with Rhubard, but these looks awesome!

ttfn300 — May 22, 2009 at 12:35 am

divine. i want one. right now. pretty please?? 🙂

Mermaid Sweets — May 22, 2009 at 3:32 am

I love your recipes, lactose free and awesome, I will def. have to try this. Ps. we should team up and do something lactose free together in solidarity!

Jen — May 22, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Thanks everyone – seriously if you have rhubarb hanging around. Make these. You won’t regret it.

alexandjess — May 22, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I’m a little lost. The ingredients list mentions 5 c. rhubarb (and you break it into 3 c. for the filling and 2 c. for the sauce) but I don’t see in the step-by-step instructions when/where/how the 2 c. of rhubarb are used. Please help!
    Thanks!

Jen — May 26, 2009 at 4:02 pm

alexandjess – thanks for catching my mistake. I added the instructions about the sauce into the post, but you make the sauce by boiling 2 cups cut rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/3 cups water. The rhubarb for the sauce can be cut in large chunks because it all falls apart anyways.

Nancy — May 26, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Your sisters made the rhubarb rolls and stuffed dates yesterday for our Memorial Day cookout. They were delicious!!!! Can’t wait to have another piece tonight for desert. I have a new recipe for potato salad that is delish….let me know if you want me to pass on.

natasha — June 12, 2009 at 3:35 am

i made these tonight and they went awry for a series of reasons that were my fault and won’t go all into…. one thing i did though was use half rhubarb and half strawberries, which sounded delish but i didn’t cut the sugar enough and i think that also made things more watery. my question though, is whether by ‘shortening’ you specifically mean something like crisco or whether you just mean butter or margarine or anything like that. i used butter and didn’t see how i could get away with a little ‘stirring’ before rolling. i tried to cut it in with a pastry blender, but in the end maybe that was too much action for the dough as it seemed a little gummy after cooking….

i’d appreciate any advice!

Jen — June 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm

natasha – I use Crisco for the dough. I think that’s what my dad always uses as well. Hopefully that is what caused the gumminess. Sorry they didn’t turn out for you.

GS — August 6, 2017 at 2:11 pm

My family has been making these for years. I have used butter or margarine to cut into the flour mixture for the dough and have never had a problem. I always roll my dough out into a rectangle and when I cut the rolls they NEVER look as neat as the ones you have pictured! I have added strawberries but only in the sauce. My mom liked to add red food coloring to make it look more rosy. We bake for 20 minutes before pouring on the sauce and then another 20 minutes. I have to make it every spring in honor of my mom.

dev — September 12, 2017 at 11:07 pm

my grandma recipe calls thesr soringtime rollypoly, and can ad what ever frozen berries you have , frozen is the least messy

dev — September 12, 2017 at 11:08 pm