Taste & Create: Lemon Curd Cookies

Taste & Create is a blogging event in which you are randomly paired up with another particpant, and each of you try a recipe from the other’s food blog. I was paired with the talented Cherrapeño. I immediately started looking for a recipe I wanted to try. Everything looks so good!! Hubby has a coworker who loves lemon, so the Lemon Curd Cookies caught my eye. I made my first lemon curd back in January and loved it.

Lemon Curd Cookies – from Cherrapeño – Adapted from The Guardian Weekend by Dan Lepard – makes ~2 dozen
I used this calculator to get my grams to cups/Tbsp conversion.

Topping:
50g (10 Tbsp) rolled oats
50g (4 Tbsp) double cream
100g good lemon curd – I made my own using this recipe – I used 1/2 cup

Base:
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
100g (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
zest of 1 lemon
150g (1 1/2 cup) plain flour
25g (2 tbsp) ground rice – I used organic brown rice flour

Measure the oats, cream and lemon curd into a small bowl and mix until combined. Cover the bowl with clingfilm until ready to use.

Mix the sugar and butter with the lemon zest for a couple of minutes until fluffy, then add the flour and ground rice, mix until you have a soft dough.

Roll into a cylinder about 5cm by 20cm long and wrap in cling film. Chill for at least an hour until firm.

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4-5, line a large baking sheet with baking parchment and slice the dough into 1½cm discs. They may crumble as you cut them but you can just press the dough back together again. Space them well apart as they will spread a bit.

Spoon a teaspoon of the oaty/lemon mixture on each circle of dough and spread it to the edges.

Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cookies have just risen and the tops are browning. Cool for a few minutes until placing on a wire rack to go cold.

I had some problems with the cookie dough. I’m not sure if it was because my conversions were off or what. When I followed the directions, after the dough came out of the fridge for an hour, it crumbled horribly. I couldn’t get it to stick together at all. It was quite crumbly when I wrapped it up but I thought it would solidify while chilling.

I ended up adding 1/2 cup soy milk to the mixture and mixed it up and re-chilled it. This helped tremendously. I was able to slice the dough once it was chilled for another hour.

My cookies didn’t spread or rise too much. But they did taste great. They also aren’t that pretty. I’m convinced that desserts that look good taste better. It’s a mental thing. Hubby even commented that the bad thing about these cookies is that they’re kinda dull looking. BUT, everyone at our family get together loved these cookies and I didn’t bring any home.

The lemon curd recipe was also taken from Cherrapeño. This lemon curd recipe was very simple to make. It was very lemony and tangy. This recipe was easy to make since it used whole eggs.

16 Responses to “Strawberry Champagne Layer Cake”

Sabina — December 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

it looks delicious!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — December 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Beautiful cake! I can’t get over the ending either, too soon!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Right! It happens every year, but I feel like this year flew by especially quickly.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — December 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Wow – super gorgeous!! I’m so glad you love this cake as much as I do! Happy Christmas and almost New Years, doll!!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:58 am

Happy Holidays to you too!

Nutmeg Nanny — December 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and I bet it tastes divine 🙂 can’t wait to try it!

Shannon — December 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm

definitely perfect for new years! i can’t believe this year is almost over, either- crazy!

Jennifer Essad — December 30, 2013 at 3:12 pm

this is perfect for our holiday-the Florida strawberries have been so sweet – thank you

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:31 pm

I wish I lived somewhere where the strawberry season was longer than a few weeks…

Jennifer Essad — December 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I was just thinking, what if we made this w/pink champagne?

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

I think it would be great with pink champagne!

Jennifer Essad — January 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I know what you mean we grew up and lived in Michigan all our lives. When our kids were little I would take them to the farms to pick blueberries, raspberries and apples. The strawberry season was always short or not at all due to the wet springs we so often had. But we did get farm fresh ones at our local farm market. I now live in Central Florida where I’m learning so much about fresh grown foods. We live a few blocks from Oviedo where DUDA farms are. They are known especially for their celery but so many other fresh veggies. We have a few local farms where you can pick strawberries and blueberries. The gulf coast really has a lot of strawberry farms. On Tuesday our local Publix store had Florida fresh strawberries on sale. I just cleaned them last night (I think my husband took about 1/2 of them to work) We are fortunate, but I still miss Michigan and all the farming communities in our area.

• beantownbaker — January 4th, 2014 @ 10:38 am

Wow – I bet things in FL are very different than Michigan! We can usually get strawberries at the farmers market as well. But again, it’s SUCH a short season. Last year we missed it completely. I’m still adjusting to the different seasonal timing in Ohio vs what it was in Boston. We always make a point to pick strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and apples. Peaches and strawberries are two of my favorite summertime fruits.

sell my car bristol — January 29, 2014 at 1:21 am

Woah, thanks a bunch for sharing!

Jason — April 2, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I made this cake for my girlfriend’s surprise birthday party, and it was freaking delicious. Granted this was my first cake I have ever baked, but there wasn’t enough frosting to cover the whole thing and keep part of the actual cake from showing through. I don’t even like cake, and this was bomb!

Breda Fuller — December 27, 2016 at 4:58 pm

This CAKE IS THE BOMB!!!!, I found this online in 2014. I showed it to my twin sister, I said, I won’t this for our B-Day, but we didn’t have it until September 2015, and again this year. So delicious, my son Loves it as well, we’re making it tomorrow December 28th 2015 for his birthday. Yummmmy!