Lemon Cupcakes

One of hubby’s coworkers, George, has been asking for Lemon cupcakes ever since I made these lemon cookies. Hubby and I both weren’t huge fans of the cookies, but George LOVED them.

After the January DB challenge, I had about a cup or so of leftover lemon curd. I could have eaten it all with a spoon, but I figured I could mix them into a cupcake instead.

I used the vanilla cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and added about 3/4 cup of lemon curd to the batter at the end. Then I put a teaspon of lemon curd directly on top of the cooled cupcakes. Last, I topped them with cool-whip frosting with the rest of the lemon curd mixed into it. I also threw some lemon zest into the frosting for texture.

These cupcakes were great. The lemon flavor was subtle and the cool-whip frosting balanced the flavors well. The recipe made 14 cupcakes, 12 of which went to work with hubby. He reported back that George ate 4 and said that he loves me 🙂

Lemon Cupcakes – adapted from Vanilla cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take over The World – makes 14
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extrat, caramel extract, or more vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.

Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.

In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy, but don’t beat past 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and other extract, if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.

I then folded in 3/4 cup of lemon curd.

Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20-22 minutes until done. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.

Cool-Whip frosting – not sure of the original recipe, but here’s what I did:
1 tub Cool Whip
1 pkg vanilla pudding
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup lemon curd
2 tsp lemon zest

Combine pudding mix and milk and stir until mostly dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined.

To Assemble cupcakes:
After cupcakes have cooled, scoop 1 tsp of lemon curd onto the top of each cupcake. Spread lemon curd with a knife to cover top of cupcake.

Pipe frosting on top of lemon curd.

Sprinkle with yellow sugar.

16 Responses to “Strawberry Champagne Layer Cake”

Sabina — December 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

it looks delicious!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — December 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Beautiful cake! I can’t get over the ending either, too soon!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:56 am

Right! It happens every year, but I feel like this year flew by especially quickly.

Megan {Country Cleaver} — December 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Wow – super gorgeous!! I’m so glad you love this cake as much as I do! Happy Christmas and almost New Years, doll!!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 10:58 am

Happy Holidays to you too!

Nutmeg Nanny — December 23, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and I bet it tastes divine 🙂 can’t wait to try it!

Shannon — December 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm

definitely perfect for new years! i can’t believe this year is almost over, either- crazy!

Jennifer Essad — December 30, 2013 at 3:12 pm

this is perfect for our holiday-the Florida strawberries have been so sweet – thank you

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:31 pm

I wish I lived somewhere where the strawberry season was longer than a few weeks…

Jennifer Essad — December 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I was just thinking, what if we made this w/pink champagne?

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

I think it would be great with pink champagne!

Jennifer Essad — January 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I know what you mean we grew up and lived in Michigan all our lives. When our kids were little I would take them to the farms to pick blueberries, raspberries and apples. The strawberry season was always short or not at all due to the wet springs we so often had. But we did get farm fresh ones at our local farm market. I now live in Central Florida where I’m learning so much about fresh grown foods. We live a few blocks from Oviedo where DUDA farms are. They are known especially for their celery but so many other fresh veggies. We have a few local farms where you can pick strawberries and blueberries. The gulf coast really has a lot of strawberry farms. On Tuesday our local Publix store had Florida fresh strawberries on sale. I just cleaned them last night (I think my husband took about 1/2 of them to work) We are fortunate, but I still miss Michigan and all the farming communities in our area.

• beantownbaker — January 4th, 2014 @ 10:38 am

Wow – I bet things in FL are very different than Michigan! We can usually get strawberries at the farmers market as well. But again, it’s SUCH a short season. Last year we missed it completely. I’m still adjusting to the different seasonal timing in Ohio vs what it was in Boston. We always make a point to pick strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and apples. Peaches and strawberries are two of my favorite summertime fruits.

sell my car bristol — January 29, 2014 at 1:21 am

Woah, thanks a bunch for sharing!

Jason — April 2, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I made this cake for my girlfriend’s surprise birthday party, and it was freaking delicious. Granted this was my first cake I have ever baked, but there wasn’t enough frosting to cover the whole thing and keep part of the actual cake from showing through. I don’t even like cake, and this was bomb!

Breda Fuller — December 27, 2016 at 4:58 pm

This CAKE IS THE BOMB!!!!, I found this online in 2014. I showed it to my twin sister, I said, I won’t this for our B-Day, but we didn’t have it until September 2015, and again this year. So delicious, my son Loves it as well, we’re making it tomorrow December 28th 2015 for his birthday. Yummmmy!