An Apple A Day – Homemade Applesauce – revisited

Rori’s story is amazing. She had a stroke a year ago and created a blogging event to commemorate the occasion – An Apple A Day. Did you know that eating apples can help prevent strokes? I didn’t. Even more of a reason to eat them! This applesauce will definitely help hubby get a serving of apples in every day!

I made cranberry applesauce for potato pancakes last year. Since then I’ve been making homemade applesauce almost every week. Hubby loves it. I make a big batch and it’s usually gone within a couple days. I’ve perfected the applesauce so that it’s not overly cranberry-ie.

Homemade applesauce – by ME!
8-10 apples (I use Golden Delicious)
1 can whole cranberries
apple cider (or other juice)
water
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon (optional)

Core and cube the apples. I leave the skin on, but you can peel them if you want. Put cubed apples into a very large pot. Add the cranberries. Fill the can once with fruit juice (I use apple cider) and pour over apples. Fill can with water one or two times and pour over apples.

Turn on heat to medium. Cover apples and allow to cook until apples are softened, stirring every couple of minutes.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Turn off heat and allow applesauce to cool to room temperature.

14 Responses to “Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream”

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — May 31, 2013 at 8:14 am

What a gorgeous chocolate!! I adore deep chocolate ice creams.

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

You would definitely love this then. It’s so rich and chocolatey!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 31, 2013 at 8:19 am

I just got an ice cream maker and cannot wait to start trying it out… this looks a bit above my skill level, but a good thing to work towards!

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:08 am

I completely understand wanting to start out with an easier recipe. Sorbets are really easy. No cooking necessary for most sorbet recipes. But def keep this one in the back of your mind for when you feel more confident!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 31, 2013 at 8:51 am

I made this dark chocolate ice cream last year, and it is definitely the best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had. The 5-day wait time is pure torture, but it’s completely worth it. So glad you enjoyed this as much as I did!

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I agree, it was complete torture, especially after taking a taste after it had processed in the machine…

tracy {pale yellow} — May 31, 2013 at 6:23 pm

A rich, deep chocolate ice cream is worth the wait! It’s so hard to find a recipe for the decadent chocolate ice I desire, this recipe has moved to the top of my to-do list!

Sues — June 3, 2013 at 6:48 am

You can tell just by looking at this how rich and awesome it is!!

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

It’s seriously difficult to scoop it’s so thick!

Shannon — June 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm

wowza, this certainly tell how rich and decadent it is!! i’m appreciating more and more those things that I only need a spoonful of to satisfy 😉

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:53 am

This is definitely one of those things. I love chocolate but could only handle one small scoop at a time.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 7, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Who isn’t a fan of chocolate?! This looks amazing 🙂

Lisa T — June 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I would love to try this recipe. I am wondering why you used coconut milk, and I’m assuming full fat coconut milk?

• beantownbaker — June 16th, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

i use coconut milk because I’m lactose intolerant so I can’t use cow’s milk or heavy cream. If you want to use those dairy products, follow the instructions in the original recipe. And yes, I use full fat coconut milk.