An Apple A Day – Homemade Applesauce – revisited

Rori’s story is amazing. She had a stroke a year ago and created a blogging event to commemorate the occasion – An Apple A Day. Did you know that eating apples can help prevent strokes? I didn’t. Even more of a reason to eat them! This applesauce will definitely help hubby get a serving of apples in every day!

I made cranberry applesauce for potato pancakes last year. Since then I’ve been making homemade applesauce almost every week. Hubby loves it. I make a big batch and it’s usually gone within a couple days. I’ve perfected the applesauce so that it’s not overly cranberry-ie.

Homemade applesauce – by ME!
8-10 apples (I use Golden Delicious)
1 can whole cranberries
apple cider (or other juice)
water
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon (optional)

Core and cube the apples. I leave the skin on, but you can peel them if you want. Put cubed apples into a very large pot. Add the cranberries. Fill the can once with fruit juice (I use apple cider) and pour over apples. Fill can with water one or two times and pour over apples.

Turn on heat to medium. Cover apples and allow to cook until apples are softened, stirring every couple of minutes.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Turn off heat and allow applesauce to cool to room temperature.

7 Responses to “Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Bars”

Jenni @ Project Cookie 365 — July 1, 2010 at 2:55 pm

AND just perfect for Canada Day!! 🙂 I love the colours, and they are cut PERFECTLY… I’m terrible at cutting bars.
    I wish I’d seen this a few days ago when I had fresh picked strawberries in my house! But a strawberry rhubarb pie will have to suffice 😉

Samantha & Erik — July 1, 2010 at 6:16 pm

These are gorgeous! I remember seeing the blueberry ones that you did last year and they looked amazing, but I think you outdid youself this time!

Samantha & Erik — July 1, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — July 1, 2010 at 6:38 pm

These look amazing! I would so love to have one of these now!

nutmegnanny — July 1, 2010 at 6:46 pm

These look amazing! When you were talking about not being able to find cheesecake ice cream I immediately thought of Cold Stone. Good thing someone turned you on to that idea. It would have been a shame to think these bars could have not come to fruition 🙂

Cara — July 1, 2010 at 8:31 pm

these sound incredible! Love the sound of the blondie-like sandwich layers. I am so sorry you had to make something you couldn’t enjoy though!

Memória — July 1, 2010 at 9:05 pm

These bars look fantastic!!!! YUM!