What’s your secret?

Since joining the Daring Bakers 3 months ago, I have been challenged every month. This month was no exception. When I told hubby that the recipe for this month was a lemon meringue pie, his first response was “Oh my Mom makes a great lemon meringue pie.” Oh great! I have to compete with his mother.
Since we met, I have done a good job to not try to out-do her in any of his favorites. It’s just easier for everyone if he doesn’t have to choose me over her. His all time favorite dessert is blueberry pie and he loves mine, but I usually use a store-bought pie crust. This provides him with an easy out for why he likes his mom’s blueberry pie better since she makes her crusts. Well there will be no excuse with this pie. I’ll be making everything from scratch, the same way she does it (although with a different recipe). Talk about pressure…

Throughout the month, I’ve been trying to figure out when to make this pie. Hubby and I don’t need to eat an entire pie ourselves but with all the stories of weeping meringues and soggy crusts, I didn’t want to take it to work either… (Be sure to check out all the other Daring Baker‘s pies) I needed an event in the evening on the weekend. Then it dawned on me. I recently joined a group who meets once a month and everyone brings food and we watch a movie. They do a theme every month. This month’s theme is secret recipe. HOW PERFECT! While most people brought secret family recipes, I brought something that literally was a secret recipe. It was the best of both worlds. And since the potluck was the night before the big reveal, I figured it was ok to share the secret with a bunch of non-blogging friends. Sorry to break the rules about keeping the recipe a secret.

I decided to make cupcake sized pies to accommodate the potluck setting and the fact that I love cupcakes. Also, this way I’d be able to have one for pictures at home and not have to explain to my new acquaintances why I was taking pictures of the pie after the first piece was cut…

Now onto the baking of the cupcakes! As I mentioned, I’ve never made a crust before, so I didn’t really know what to expect. I do have a pastry cutter, so I was excited to use it! As usual, I got all my ingredients measured and ready to go prior to starting.

My dough was very crumbly after I turned it onto my Silpat. I shaped it into a disk they best I could, but I couldn’t pick it up to wrap it in plastic wrap. Instead, I just put plastic and a clean towel over the dough and put the Silpat onto a cookie sheet and stuck the whole thing in the fridge. I had to knead the dough quite a bit to be able to roll it out.
I used a prep-bowl that had a 4″ edge to cut my dough. I used a sharp knife and ran it along the outside of the overturned dough to cut my circles. Then I pressed each circle into the cupcake pan. The recipe made 12 cupcake crusts.

As you can see the crust got smaller as it baked. I think it’ll still turn out okay at this point. I prepped all my meringue and filling ingredients while the crust was baking (the 5 egg yolks go in the filling and the egg whites go in the meringue). I read that since you want to put the meringue onto the filling while it’s hot, it might be a good idea to actually make the meringue first so that it’s ready to go. So that’s what I did.
The meringue came together quite well. I followed the directions for the lemon curd exactly and it came out perfectly. It held up nicely and tasted AMAZING. Perfectly tart.

I had quite a bit of the lemon curd left since I wasn’t able to put very much into the cupcake pie crusts. I used an ice-cream scoop to put a big dollop of meringue on top of the filling. I made them look spikey cause it’s fun 🙂

I am very proud to admit that my filling held up nice and sturdy even after about 6 hours. These little guys were heavenly. Everyone at the potluck asked for the recipe.

Thanks to our host Jen for this lovely recipe! I really enjoyed making my lemon meringue cup-pies. Click HERE for the complete recipe (I figure this post is long enough already!)

31 Responses to “Raspberry Curd and an Interesting Twist on a Breakfast Sandwich”

Sunshine — April 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thank God for the weird flavors and for not making em the only weirdo foodie out there. This sounds heavenly, and I can’t wait to try my hand at the curd this weekend.

yumventures — April 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I am practically addicted to lemon curd, and since raspberries are by far my favorite berry I would be scared to make this, have so much left over, and pour it over everything I could eat! The breakfast sandwich also looks good, never had sweet with the eggs, but its worth a shot! Would be great with french toast, and I love cream cheese with sweet jam 🙂

Katie — April 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Jen, that curd looks just wonderful! I LOVE raspberry!

hannah! — April 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

it’s okay to have a weird tastebud. it all matters if you like it (: i think flutternutters are weird in comparison 😛 no offense, people!

Pam — April 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Mmm, this sounds fantastic! I’m so used to curd being citrus – this would be a nice change of pace.

Sarah — April 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You’re not the only one! Growing up, when we didn’t have tomato soup with our grilled cheese, there was usually jam spread on it after it was grilled. It’s a weird combo that one of my parents inroduced, but it’s surprisingly good.

Bridget — April 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Ooh, raspberry curd sounds fantastic.

Your sandwich seems like the breakfast version of a monte cristo sandwich, and I really like monte cristos.

mrs. c — April 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm

i have never had raspberry curd and it sounds yummy. I think it would taste great on french toast. i might just have to try this!

Joanne — April 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I actually love egg and jam sandwiches! I think it’s pretty weird…but oh so delicious. that curd looks fantastic! Gorgeous color.

Kelly — April 21, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Wow, this could totally solve my problem with breakfast sandwiches. I just REALLY like sweetness in my breakfast but I want to like breakfast sandwiches because egg is so filling and good for you…I am definitely going to try this!

Kerstin — April 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I bet the sweet/savory combo is yummy! I’ve never made curd for a cake before but hope to soon – it sounds so delicious and versatile.

Elina — April 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I’ve heard of this combo before and I have to say – it grosses me out and intrigues me at the same time. Maybe I’ll get the guts to try it some day. You do make it sound delicious 🙂

Sook — April 22, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Oh wow, the curd looks so beautiful! The consistency looks perfect!

Kimberly Alexandra — April 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Funny this should come up b/c I just had a ham & egg sandwich last night and I almost always have to add strawberry jam to that! Adding raspberry curd is sure to be just as good.

🙂 Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well

PS – that curd is simply gorgeous!

smellslikehome — April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm

ooo i think i know which cake you’ll be posting soon…if it’s the one i’m thinking of, i have to say, this curd was the best filling i could imagine for that cake. this curd was just awesome (and i’m not a raspberry fan) and yours looks gorgeous!!

ABowlOfMush — April 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Wow that is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen!

whisk-kid — April 23, 2010 at 4:12 am

This certainly sounds like an interesting combination. I suppose it’s similar to a monte cristo, no? I’d love to give it a try!

A Cup Full of Cake — April 23, 2010 at 5:23 am

I saw this recipe yesterday and immediately printed it. I made Vanilla raspberry cupcakes for a friend’s birthday and wanted to make them a little extra special. This curd is amazing. Its a little thinner than lemon curd but that was perfect for what I wanted. I didn’t want that thicker consistency. I will link to your blog when I post the cupcakes with pics and recipes to mine!
    Shanna

ButterYum — April 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I believe you when you say it tastes great with eggs. I’m not a ketchup fan, but I do like it on scrambled eggs – completely changes the flavor of both!

I’m surprised your curd didn’t thicken after being chilled.

Btw, tell you hubby that it’s true cheese and jelly seem like a strange combo, but well prepared cheese platters always include fruit selections (pears, grapes, etc) – they compliment one another beautifully.

🙂
    ButterYum

NikiTheo — April 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm

(1) Raspberry curd rocks, but I’ve never had a recipe for it, so thank you!
    (2) Berries are gerat on savory dishes! Every had a berry sauce on grilled rare venison meat? YUM!!!!
    (3) When I make over easy eggs, I always use toast covered in butter and raspberry preserves to sop up the yolk. So good!!!
    So you are in good company my dear!

Jen — April 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only “weirdo” that likes the jam/egg/cheese combo.

I’m also surprised it didn’t thicken up more. Even this morning, it was still the same consistency and it’s been in the fridge since I made it.

doreeen sia — April 23, 2010 at 2:29 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

A Cup Full of Cake — April 28, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Your raspberry curd recipe is amazing!! I made it and used it for some cupcakes. I credited and linked to your blog in my blog! Thanks for an awesome recipe
    Shanna

Joudie's Mood Food — August 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

This certainly looks addictive, and the colour is just DIVINE! Will have to try it ….. Am curioius to see what it tastes like with egg..

Kelly — March 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I don’t know if I’m brave enough to try this one on an egg sandwich, but I did pin it 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 18th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Thanks for the pin! I hope you try it some time.

Courtney — March 29, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Jen, are the amounts above written the way that you made it (doubled)? Can’t wait to try it!

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:36 am

I’ve never doubled this recipe before, but I don’t see why you couldn’t. Let me know how it works out for you.

Nicole — May 10, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I have been searching for a recipe just like this for a cake filling! Thank you so much 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

Glad to help! I hope you enjoy it 🙂

Stacey — May 19, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Is it possible to make this without the added sugar? I’m trying to find recipes that are good for a cancer diet. Thanks