What’s your secret?

Since joining the Daring Bakers 3 months ago, I have been challenged every month. This month was no exception. When I told hubby that the recipe for this month was a lemon meringue pie, his first response was “Oh my Mom makes a great lemon meringue pie.” Oh great! I have to compete with his mother.
Since we met, I have done a good job to not try to out-do her in any of his favorites. It’s just easier for everyone if he doesn’t have to choose me over her. His all time favorite dessert is blueberry pie and he loves mine, but I usually use a store-bought pie crust. This provides him with an easy out for why he likes his mom’s blueberry pie better since she makes her crusts. Well there will be no excuse with this pie. I’ll be making everything from scratch, the same way she does it (although with a different recipe). Talk about pressure…

Throughout the month, I’ve been trying to figure out when to make this pie. Hubby and I don’t need to eat an entire pie ourselves but with all the stories of weeping meringues and soggy crusts, I didn’t want to take it to work either… (Be sure to check out all the other Daring Baker‘s pies) I needed an event in the evening on the weekend. Then it dawned on me. I recently joined a group who meets once a month and everyone brings food and we watch a movie. They do a theme every month. This month’s theme is secret recipe. HOW PERFECT! While most people brought secret family recipes, I brought something that literally was a secret recipe. It was the best of both worlds. And since the potluck was the night before the big reveal, I figured it was ok to share the secret with a bunch of non-blogging friends. Sorry to break the rules about keeping the recipe a secret.

I decided to make cupcake sized pies to accommodate the potluck setting and the fact that I love cupcakes. Also, this way I’d be able to have one for pictures at home and not have to explain to my new acquaintances why I was taking pictures of the pie after the first piece was cut…

Now onto the baking of the cupcakes! As I mentioned, I’ve never made a crust before, so I didn’t really know what to expect. I do have a pastry cutter, so I was excited to use it! As usual, I got all my ingredients measured and ready to go prior to starting.

My dough was very crumbly after I turned it onto my Silpat. I shaped it into a disk they best I could, but I couldn’t pick it up to wrap it in plastic wrap. Instead, I just put plastic and a clean towel over the dough and put the Silpat onto a cookie sheet and stuck the whole thing in the fridge. I had to knead the dough quite a bit to be able to roll it out.
I used a prep-bowl that had a 4″ edge to cut my dough. I used a sharp knife and ran it along the outside of the overturned dough to cut my circles. Then I pressed each circle into the cupcake pan. The recipe made 12 cupcake crusts.

As you can see the crust got smaller as it baked. I think it’ll still turn out okay at this point. I prepped all my meringue and filling ingredients while the crust was baking (the 5 egg yolks go in the filling and the egg whites go in the meringue). I read that since you want to put the meringue onto the filling while it’s hot, it might be a good idea to actually make the meringue first so that it’s ready to go. So that’s what I did.
The meringue came together quite well. I followed the directions for the lemon curd exactly and it came out perfectly. It held up nicely and tasted AMAZING. Perfectly tart.

I had quite a bit of the lemon curd left since I wasn’t able to put very much into the cupcake pie crusts. I used an ice-cream scoop to put a big dollop of meringue on top of the filling. I made them look spikey cause it’s fun 🙂

I am very proud to admit that my filling held up nice and sturdy even after about 6 hours. These little guys were heavenly. Everyone at the potluck asked for the recipe.

Thanks to our host Jen for this lovely recipe! I really enjoyed making my lemon meringue cup-pies. Click HERE for the complete recipe (I figure this post is long enough already!)

34 Responses to “Lemon Raspberry Layer Cake”

oneordinaryday — April 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Raspberries are my very favorite food on the planet and this looks absolutely divine. Thanks for sharing this!

Carrie — April 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Its my husband birthday on Fri I might try to talk him into having this cake for it.

Cara — April 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

awesome work, Jen! It sounds delicious and looks gorgeous. I’m totally jealous of your border-piping skills too.

Ammie — April 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Beautiful cake! This is very similar to our wedding cake, I may just have to try it!

annies-eats.com — April 26, 2010 at 3:25 pm

It looks beautiful and sounds delicious. I’ll have to try this one!

KB — April 26, 2010 at 3:34 pm

This looks absolutely terrific! Great job on the assembly and decoration!

hannah! — April 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm

really beautiful cake! and raspberries are one of my favorite fruits ever! i love the little sacs together with the crunchy seeds. hee.

Sherry G — April 26, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Holy beautiful! this cake is quite elegant and delicious looking! I love raspberries with cake.

roxan @ kitchen meditation — April 26, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Jen this cake is so so beautiful! It reminds me of the triple berry cake from Sweet Lady Jane here in LA. If an opportunity every arises for me to make a layer cake (I have the same problem – it’s hard to find people to help finish it!) I will definitely try this one.

You did a beautiful job with the piping. Gorgeous.

Memória — April 26, 2010 at 5:53 pm

We should be best friends hahaha. We have the same go-to white cake recipe, and we both made layered cakes this weekend! Your cake is BEAUTIFUL! You have every right to brag. You did an excellent job on the piping and decorating. It looks professional!

I added lemon extract to my strawberry frosting on my strawberry cake (which came from Bridget’s recipe), and I could taste hints of lemon. I think the extract and some lemon zest would work well.

I must make this cake!! I am 100% certain that I would like it because we have similar tastes.

Now I need to look at your overdose cake to compare it to my overload cake.

living_insanity — April 26, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Lemon and raspberries sounds like a perfect flavor combo. Your cake looks beautiful!

KRISTINA CIPOLLA PHOTOGRAPHY — April 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm

OH wow, I started drooling as soon as I saw the pic. SO pretty and looks delish! Will def. have to try this one… 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

We Are Not Martha — April 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm

This is so, so pretty! And obviously looks delicious too. Raspberries are one of my favorite parts of spring!

Sues

Brisbane Baker — April 27, 2010 at 12:56 am

I don’t think you’re bragging! I would be proud of a beautiful cake like this one.

Looks delicous!

Josie — April 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm

beautiful!! Great decorating job!

bcallegra — April 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm

This cake looks awesome and my mouth is watering looking at the picture right now.

ashley — April 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm

beautiful cake!

Katie — April 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm

This cake is SO, SOOO beautiful! I love it!!!

Allie — May 3, 2010 at 2:27 am

Looks beautiful, I love layer cakes!

vertigoxcured — May 3, 2010 at 2:49 pm

you say something about videos from youtube? can you share the the links?

Jen — May 6, 2010 at 1:54 pm

vertigoxcured – I updated the post with links to the youtube videos. Sorry about that.

Smithie7482 — May 9, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I made this for Mother’s Day and it was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing. I added the juice of the zested lemon and an extra cup of confectioners’ sugar to the buttercream and managed to get a nice lemony tang.

Karin — June 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I cant believe this is your first frosting coated cake. So beautifully done. And also note…that 4 layers with fruit filling without cake sliding all over the place is not a normal for first timers in that department. Kudos… you got the cake decorating skills Ma’am.

nod — March 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm

am making this cake right now, and i must ask about the proportions of flour to liquid. it seems off. i made the recipe exactly as written and it was a pool of liquid. i had a similar recipe for a white cake which called for 2-3/4 flour and only 4 egg whites + 1 whole egg ( similar), so i added another 1/2 cup flour and it was still liquidy. it took 30 mins. to bake, not 23-25. will see how it turns out. the only good part is rubbing the grated lemon zest with the sugar, although i could not taste much lemon in the batter. by the looks of the layers, i would recommend 8″ pans as the layers are quite thin. all in all a big disappointment. glad i planned ahead and will make a different recipe.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

Sorry to hear this recipe didn’t work out for you. This batter was very thin going in to the oven.

rach — April 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Does this cake keep well? i just made three 6″ cakes, which I’ll freeze in preparation for making a little layer cake on Sunday (a top-tier wedding cake replacement for our one year anniversary, after Hurricane Sandy ruined the real one.) But I also made two dozen cupcakes with the batter. I’m planning to bring one dozen to a dinner party tomorrow and the next dozen to a party on Wednesday. Any tips for the cupcakes? Should I freeze them, or just leave them out til I’m ready to frost? Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

• beantownbaker — April 23rd, 2013 @ 7:48 am

I haven’t made this cake into cupcakes before. But in general, cupcakes are fine for a couple days. If it’s more than 2-3 days, I’d go ahead and freeze them, then frost them the day before you want to serve them.

Zea — June 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Would it be advantageous to whip the egg whites first, and fold them into the batter at the end? It might help with the thin batter issue, and I have some recipes for white cake that call for whites whipped into soft peaks. I am making this cake for a baby shower this weekend, so I will let you know how this technique works, unless the author has an opinion against.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

I have made this cake, or a variation of the cake, multiple times as it is written without any issues. I know some cake recipes do have the cake whites whipped and folded in at the end. If you try it, please let me know how it goes.

どづでむ — July 10, 2013 at 7:28 am

If you could email me with a few pointers on how you made your blog site look this cool, I would be thankful!

Darlene — September 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Going to endeavor to make this for my husband’s birthday next weekend. I haven’t made a cake in ages, but I like challenges!!! Hopefully it will go well as his parents are coming into town for his birthday (yikes!) I hope it has a nice lemon flavor because he loves lemon. Wish me luck!!!

• beantownbaker — September 27th, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

I hope he enjoys it. The cake definitely has a lemon flavor. If you wanted to go super lemony, you could use lemon curd instead of raspberry curd for the filling!

Carol — September 22, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Cake looks beautiful. However, each cake was an only an inch thick so was confused how to possibly cut it in half to make four layers. So after everything was cleaned up, I had to make a second round of this. The puree was tasty and plenty of it. The Frosting was delicious and plenty also. The cake itself tasted good with hint of lemon, but did not rise much at all and it had a very rubbery texture and very dense. I agree the batter was thin when I poured in pans, but it was not fluffy and light by any means after it was baked. I appreciated making it, but not a fav for me.

Lauren — September 22, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I know this is an old post, but I had to comment after making it for the first time yesterday. This is a lovely cake! The only downside, for me, was that the lemon flavor was lighter than I thought it would be. I ended up topping it with some toasted almonds and fresh raspberries, and serving it with homemade coconut ice cream.

*Note: My layers came out quite thin. They were both only a little over an inch thick, and the batter itself was a slightly thick/fluffy consistency. That being said, I was able to torte them without difficulty and the finished cake came out to a little over 3 inches.