Soft Pretzels – 1 WW pt each!

This is the final recipe I made for our Beirut finals. Along with the pizza roll and Frito candy, I made these pretzels. I made one batch half salted and half unsalted. I made a second batch, half the garlic Parmesan and half the sun dried tomato variation.

I also made some beer/cheese/mustard dip to serve with the pretzels. Everyone loved these. My favorites were the sun dried tomato ones. They were very tasty and very pretty.

Once you get the motion of how to make these little guys, they’re pretty easy to do. It would definitely be a fun project to do with kids or a friend.
Soft Pretzels (Recipe from Amber) – makes 24
1/8 cup hot water
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/3 warm water
1/3 cup brown sugar
4+ cups flour
Coarse kosher salt
Baking soda
Butter or shortening (to generously grease cookie sheets)

In a large bowl mix together hot water and yeast until the yeast dissolves. Stir in the warm water and brown sugar and stir until the brown sugar dissolves.

Slowly add 4 cups of flour, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth and does not stick to the sides of the bowl.

Lightly flour counter. Dip your hands into extra flour. Knead the dough until it is stretchy and smooth. (Push it down and away from you with the palms of your hands, turning the dough as you work)

Grease cookie sheets generously with butter or shortening. Sprinkle greased cookie sheet(s) with kosher salt. Preheat oven to 475. (It is very important that you grease the cookie sheets very well)

Using liquid measuring cup fill a large saucepan at least 1/2 full of water. For each 1 cup of water, add 1 tbsp baking soda.

Divide the dough into equal sized pieces.

Using the following 4 steps shape each dough ball into a pretzel shape…
1). Roll the dough into a rope 14″ long and as thick as your thumb. Bend the dough into a U shape. (if you have trouble rolling the dough into a rope slightly wet your hands and try again).

2). Cross one end of the rope over the other one. The ropes should cross about three inches from the tips.

3). Twist the crossed ends, making a full turn. Fold the ends back, towards the middle of the U.

4). Open the ends slightly to form a pretzel shape. Press the ends into the dough firmly.

Bring water into saucepan to a gentle boil (not to many bubbles) Use pancake turner to lower each pretzel into the saucepan. Count slowly to 30. Then lift the pretzel onto the greased and salted cookie sheet (shaking off excess water back into the saucepan). Repeat until all the pretzels are done.
Sprinkle some kosher salt on top of the pretzels and put them in preheated oven. Bake for 8 minutes or until the pretzels are golden.
Variation Recipes
Garlic Parmesan Pretzels Add 4-6 cloves pressed garlic and 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese into the liquid ingredients before adding the flour.
Sun-dried Tomato and Basil Pretzels Add 4-6 chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tsp basil and 2 tsp parm cheese to the liquid ingredients before adding in the flour

Recipe notes
* You can make the dough up to 24 hours in advance, just cover the bowl and store in refrigerator.

* These also freeze very well. Just pop them into the microwave for a few seconds to reheat.

* This recipe will yield 20-24 shaped pretzels depending on the size you make them.

*You can also make pretzel sticks with this recipe. Instead of rolling dough into pretzel shapes just roll into 2-3″ long ropes a little thicker than your thumb.
Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)

1 salt-free pretzel: 80.4 Calories, 0.3 g Fat, 0.0 mg Cholesterol, 1.2 mg Sodium, 25.4 mg Potassium, 15.7 g Carbs, 1.5 g Dietary Fiber, 1.7 g Sugar, 2.6 g Protein WW POINTS = 1

14 Responses to “Fish Tacos”

Erin — September 7, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Caramelized onions. I would always snarl at them until I actually tried them and realized they are delicious!

Domestic Princess — September 7, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Love Fish Taco’s! We like ours with: fish fingers, cabbage and ranch sauce w/ taco seasoning…ummm..

Nancy — September 7, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Try the true Mexican way: with shredded, crispy cabbage, it’s so good.
    I tried something I thought I wouldn’t like (that’s a very small percentage of the foods in the world!) and I was right, I totally disliked it – and that’s octopus!

Joe — September 7, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Brussel sprouts. I split them in half, and saute them with olive oil, butter, and garlic. They’re my new favorite vegetable, and my wife and I make them once a week.

On a fish taco note, I had always wanted to try them, finally did, and they were terrible. Turns out I tried them at a bad Mexican restaurant, even though the place was always packed. It was sort of a tourist trap, and eventually went out of business. I’d never thought to try them home, that sounds like a great idea.

Sarah — September 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I just had to comment…I was the same way with fish tacos and then i tried them and LOVED them. I can’t get enough! Glad I’m not the only one

Robyn — September 8, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Oh boy fish tacos… when I first heard of them I thought the concept was a terrible idea. I finally let my husband convince me to try them and I of course loved them. Like Nancy said, we eat them the Mexican/Baja way with cabbage. So good!

Now have you tried shrimp tacos?!

Jen — September 8, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I have not tried shrimp tacos. I will have to look into that.

stephchows — September 8, 2009 at 7:00 pm

So true!! I always giggle about them too lol. I had this sandwich that sounded so gross I wanted nothing to do with it, then a friend ordered it and made me try it… it was AMAZING!

roasted corn seasoned, mashed and mixed with diced red bell pepper, topped with cheddar, apricotjam and mixed greens, on wheat

Joelen — September 9, 2009 at 12:29 am

The use of sprouts in your tacos is a great idea! I’m going to have to try that!

nutmegnanny — September 9, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I’m not a big fan of fish but these look very delicious:) I used to turn my nose up to deep fried pickles but then I finally tried them…they are delicious!!!

Skylar Wolfe — September 22, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I was skeptical of fish tacos until I tried them. Now they are probably one of my top 5 foods. I love mine with cabbage, lime, and pico de gallo

qngdss — October 6, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Also used to turned my nose up at fish tacos! Had them again tonight, this time with swordfish nuggets (Hey the bits and pieces were only 4.99 per lb!) DELISH 🙂

cinderskitchen — January 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Jen, I too was a fish taco “snob” Couldn’t imagine whoever would think to do such a thing. You actually opened my mind up to trying them. I made salmon with taco seasoning ones and we really loved them, thanks to you. I told a friend whose husband goes to Alaska fishing and always brings home lots of salmon and halibut. They are coming over tonight and guess what we are having? SALMON TACOS!! Thanks.

Jen — January 2, 2010 at 10:45 pm