Scallop Mango salad

Hubby and I want to start eating more salads as entrees. I saw this in a recent copy of Cooking Light and thought we’d give it a try. Neither of us had ever cooked with sea scallops before, but they are really easy to cook.

This was a great salad but needed a little something more. Perhaps if we had mango chutney that would have provided what was missing (we used a sliced mango instead). Also, this salad will not keep well, so next time we’ll make 1/2 the recipe for just the 2 of us.

Caribbean Grilled Scallop Salad (from Cooking Light) – Serves 412 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 tsp fish rub, divided
cooking spray
5 (1/2 inch) slices fresh pineapple
4 cups gourmet salad greens or mixed salad greens
4 cups torn Boston lettuce (about 2 small heads)
1/3 cup diced peeled avocado
2 Tbsp mango chutney – we didn’t have any chutney, so we just diced a mango
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp olive oil

Prepare grill to high heat.

Pat scallops dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp fish rub evenly over scallops. Coat scallops with cooking spray. Place scallops on grill rack; grill 3 minutes on each side or until done.

Remove scallops. Add pineapple to grill rack; grill 2 minutes on each side. Remove pineapple from grill; chop pineapple.

Combine salad greens, lettuce, pineapple, and avocado in a large bowl.

Chop large pieces of chutney. Combine chutney, lime juice, olive oil, and remaining 1/2 tsp fish rub in a small bowl. Add dressing to salad, and toss well. Place 1 1/2 cups salad into each of 4 bowls. Arrange 3 scallops over each salad.

14 Responses to “Raspberry Chipotle Jam”

Samantha — January 22, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Raspberry and chipotle! what a combo. I love this idea. I could put chipotle in anything and be happy.

• beantownbaker — January 22nd, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

Chipotle is a flavor I’m learning to love as I use it more and more!

Ashley @ My Midwest Table — January 23, 2014 at 10:32 am

Holy yum! This jam reminds me of the sauce in one of my favorite appetizers from a little restaurant in Kansas. It was raspberry chipotle sauce combined with cream cheese and black beans, and it was served warm with tortilla chips. The best!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2014 @ 2:15 pm

Is it So Long Saloon by chance?…

If so, check back on Tuesday…

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2014 @ 2:17 pm

BTW, I just saw in your bio that you went to Purdue – I did too! Aero engineering for me. Crazy about that shooting this week…

Ashley @ My Midwest Table — January 23, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Yes, So Long Saloon! We lived in Manhattan for a few years while my husband worked on his PhD. Can’t wait to see what you’ve cooked up on Tuesday!

Goodness, what a coincidence that you are a Purdue alumna too! Yes, so crazy and so sad.

Shannon — January 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm

this is definitely one i’ll need to make, great flavor combo 🙂

Nutmeg Nanny — February 4, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Oh gosh, this is such a fun flavor combination 🙂 I can’t wait to try this out!

Jac — September 10, 2014 at 10:57 am

I am super excited to try this recipe out. I love idea of the sweet of the fruit and the heat of the pepper. I will let you know how mine turns out.

*I just moved to Boston which is how I found your website. I’m sorta sad that you moved back to Ohio because I would love to meet you. 😀

• beantownbaker — September 12th, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

Hope it turns out well for you! We love this jam. It’s really good on a breakfast sandwich.

MezzoBetsy — September 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Oh, yum! I’m a great fan of using jams, marmalades and chutneys with meat in the crockpot or as a glaze on roasts. This would be perfect on a pork tenderloin.

Joy — January 9, 2015 at 7:41 pm

how do you make it without the jam maker? I have a breadmaking machine that can make jelly, would it work about the same?

Lucinds — July 7, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Are there any water bath instructions?

AGEN SGP RESMI — November 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Thats look so delicious.. nice sharing