Peppermint Cupcakes

I asked for Vegan Cupcakes take over the World for Christmas this year to feed into my cupcake fetish and help me with baking lactose-free. I’ve tried one recipe from the cookbook before (Margarita cupcakes) and they were quite tasty. My What’s Cooking Secret Santa sent me the cookbook and I was so excited! Although my mom was bummed because she got me the book too!
I brought the cookbook with me to Illinois for Christmas because my 13 year old sister and I always bake together when I’m home. And because my 24 year old sister and I got my mom a KitchenAid Mixer for Christmas (yes, we did get it on KAM Day back in the summer!)

These cupcakes are multi-purpose. I wanted to participate in the Cupcake Hero for December and make a treat that my family could enjoy and prove to them that eating dairy free baked goods is just as fun as full-dairy baked goods. Since the theme for the Cupcake Hero is mint this month, that meant I could try the chocolate mint cupcakes or make peppermint cupcakes from the vanilla recipe. The family voted and decided on peppermint.

I simply followed the vanilla cupcake recipe except added 2 tsp of peppermint to the batter. Then I made a cream cheese frosting, added 2 tsp of peppermint, and some crushed candy canes. It’s not overly creative (check out the other Cupcake Hero entries to see what I mean!) but they sure tasty wintery.

These cupcakes turned out delicious. Everyone loved them and they had the perfect amount of peppermint in them. I also liked the texture of having the crushed candy canes in the frosting. My cupcakes did sink down while they were cooling. I think it’s because 1 – someone opened the oven while they were cooking and 2 – my mom’s oven temperature must be low. Everything all week took longer than expected to bake. But other than that, these guys were great. And very festive.
Peppermint Vegan Cupcakes (based on Vanilla cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World) – makes 12
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (increase to 1/2 tsp if using oil instead of margarine)
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or 1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond, caramel or more vanilla extract
(I used 2 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp peppermint)

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.

If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.

In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer on medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy, but don’t beat past 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and other extract, then alternate beating in the soy milk mixture and the dry ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.

If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and other extract in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until no large lumps remain.

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-22 minutes until done. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.

Vegan Peppermint cream cheese frosting
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 cup crushed candy canes

Cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding the confectioners’ sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla and peppermint extract. Stir in crushed candy canes. Keep tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.

19 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate Cookies ‘N Cream Ice Cream”

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles — January 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Yum that looks delicious and welcome back to my hometown! Cincinnati’s actually a great town that grows on you and has been evolving quite a bit in the time that you’ve been away. I suspect given your profession and work location history that we probably work for the same company as our day jobs ;).

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:30 am

Yes, Cincinnati has changed a LOT since we moved away in 2007.

I would suspect you’re right. There’s enough info to know where I work, especially if you work here too 😉 Going to go check out your blog now. I would love to meet some other Cincinnati area bloggers!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:31 am

Ok I work for the *other* big company in town (just checked your About page).

Eva @ Eva Bakes — January 23, 2013 at 10:55 am

Isn’t the KA ice cream attachment the best thing ever? I am always making ice cream, even in the wintertime, but I never thought of using canned coconut milk as the base. I’ll have to try this out soon!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 11:37 am

Absolutely. I didn’t think I could love my KAM any more than I already did. The ice cream attachment proved that I can.

Cara — January 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I have lots of cans of coconut milk laying around and I know they make a good ice cream! Adding this one to my list 🙂

tracy {pale yellow} — January 23, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I bought myself KA ice creamer maker for my birthday this summer and I adore it! I’ve been thinking about making non-dairy ice creams, but the recipes all sounded strange. It’s great to see a recipe from a trusted source. Can’t wait to try.

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

Let me know what you think if you try it. I am going to be experimenting with different milks since I can’t have cow’s milk…

Shannon — January 24, 2013 at 11:08 am

love coconut milk based ice creams!! this one looks fabulous, and good call throwing in those oreos 😉

• beantownbaker — January 24th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

It’s ALWAYS a good idea to throw oreos in 🙂

Sabine — January 29, 2013 at 12:07 am

My brother’s favorite thing to get at Coldstone is chocolate oreo ice cream. Too bad I don’t have an ice cream maker, or I would definitely try this!

• beantownbaker — January 29th, 2013 @ 7:51 am

I’ve been told you can make ice cream without an ice cream maker. I never tried it before I got mine though…

Mary — January 31, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I just made your recipe and luckily I tasted it before I cooled it. The ratio of sugar to cocoa powder is off. You should use at least twice the amount of sugar to cocoa powder in order for it not to have a horribly bitter taste. After adding more sugar it had a nice sweet to chocolately balance. Thanks for the recipe, my daughter is lactose intolerant and she will enjoy it.

• beantownbaker — January 31st, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

I am glad you were able to adjust this recipe to suit your needs. Hubby and I both enjoyed the sweetness level of this recipe. I’m sure different cocoa powders have different levels of sweetness. I plan to try this recipe without the cocoa powder to make vanilla ice cream too. We loved the creaminess of it!

Efrain Stamper — March 11, 2013 at 3:08 am

This look yummy and chocolate ice cream is one of my favorite. Thanks for sharing the directions and ingredients.

Sara — April 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

I just opened a can of coconut milk and it looked extremely curdled. I shook it a lot but it was still completely curdled. Is that how coconut milk is supposed to be out of the can? Are there any brands that you specifically like to use?

Raigon — October 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Oh how I wish I could try this.. I am currently gluten and dairy free.. However this being dairy free is is not gluten free with the oreo’s… Bummer!!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:28 am

I’ve made this recipe again without the Oreos and it’s really good. Not quite as good as with the Oreos, but if you wanted to make it gluten free, just leave them out.