Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto (7 WW pts)

Hubby and I like to cook together. On Friday night we decided to try a recipe I had torn out of a Cooking Light. Neither of us had ever made pesto from scratch. I was surprised at how easy it was!! This meal was amazing and very easy to make. The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but it was definitely 6 for us. And it’s great reheated.

Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto – from Cooking Light July 2007 (pg 216) – makes 6 servings – 7 WW pts2 quarts plus 1 Tbsp water, divided
1 (16 oz) package vacuum packed gnocchi
4 cups (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound) – I used 1 bundle from the grocery store1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, coarsely chopped
1 cup basil leaves
2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted – Ours weren’t toasted2 Tbsp preshredded Parmesan cheese – I used Veggie Grated Parmesan Cheese Alternative2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp bottled minced garlic – I used 3 garlic cloves, minced4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Bring 2 qts water to a boil in a dutch oven (I just used a regular pot). Add gnocchi to pan; cook 4 minutes or until done – they will rise to the surface. Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon; place in a large bowl.

Add asparagus and shrimp to pan (that gnocchi just came out of); cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Drain and add shrimp mixture to gnocchi.

To make the pesto sauce (we did this while the gnocchi and shrimp were cooking): Combine 1 Tbsp water, basil, pine nuts, cheese, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping sides. Drizzle oil through food chute with food processor on; process until well blended.

Add salt and pesto to shrimp mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)

1 serving: 333.5 Calories, 6.7 g Fat, 147.3 mg Cholesterol, 343.8 mg Sodium, 439.8 mg Potassium, 43.4 g Carbs, 3.6 g Dietary Fiber, 1.5 g Sugar, 24.8 g Protein WW POINTS = 7

14 Responses to “Chicken Pot Pie with Cream Cheese and Chive Biscuits”

Shannon — March 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

love your adaptations- and i agree, one-pot meals usually need more veggies!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:44 pm

Not that this meal is in any way healthy, but at least bumping up the veggies (and the servings) reduces the amount of pure indulgence per serving…

Sues — March 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Love all the changes you made to this! And I agree- the more veggies, the merrier 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Glad I’m not the only one!

Megan — March 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I love that idea to just throw extra veggies in. I always have some leftover unused veggies going bad in the fridge after I’ve used some for a recipe. The biscuits on this look amazing.

Wendy — March 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This looks rich and satisfying. I love the idea of biscuits on top rather than pie crust. Cream cheese chive biscuits sound especially delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

I definitely plan to make these biscuits again some time. They’d be delicious even without the creamy pot pie filling under them.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

I love the thought of throwing the extra veggies in, i think a lot of people are hesitant to do so. This looks so delicious and satisfying 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Yea when it comes to cooking, I figure there’s no harm in playing with recipes. Baking is another story…

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

My boyfriend, who eats a good portion of the overall meals I cook plus leftovers, hates veggies. This is a problem, because I don’t like food going bad but I can’t eat it all myself. I love recipes like this because it’d probably be SO tasty, he’d hardly even notice the abundance of green. Or he’d pick the peas out. Who knows.

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

I can’t imagine hating veggies… But I agree, I think he’d hardly notice the veggies in this. It’s that creamy and delicious.

scott — March 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This recipe looks delicious. Do you know the nutritional values? If you post it on http://www.myrecipemagic.com they will calculate it for you and you can get paid for posting recipes.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 28, 2013 at 6:15 am

I love that you topped this off with biscuits instead of the traditional flaky crust!

• beantownbaker — March 28th, 2013 @ 6:53 am

Biscuits are always the right answer 😉