Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto (7 WW pts)

Hubby and I like to cook together. On Friday night we decided to try a recipe I had torn out of a Cooking Light. Neither of us had ever made pesto from scratch. I was surprised at how easy it was!! This meal was amazing and very easy to make. The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but it was definitely 6 for us. And it’s great reheated.

Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto – from Cooking Light July 2007 (pg 216) – makes 6 servings – 7 WW pts2 quarts plus 1 Tbsp water, divided
1 (16 oz) package vacuum packed gnocchi
4 cups (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound) – I used 1 bundle from the grocery store1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, coarsely chopped
1 cup basil leaves
2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted – Ours weren’t toasted2 Tbsp preshredded Parmesan cheese – I used Veggie Grated Parmesan Cheese Alternative2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp bottled minced garlic – I used 3 garlic cloves, minced4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Bring 2 qts water to a boil in a dutch oven (I just used a regular pot). Add gnocchi to pan; cook 4 minutes or until done – they will rise to the surface. Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon; place in a large bowl.

Add asparagus and shrimp to pan (that gnocchi just came out of); cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Drain and add shrimp mixture to gnocchi.

To make the pesto sauce (we did this while the gnocchi and shrimp were cooking): Combine 1 Tbsp water, basil, pine nuts, cheese, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping sides. Drizzle oil through food chute with food processor on; process until well blended.

Add salt and pesto to shrimp mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)

1 serving: 333.5 Calories, 6.7 g Fat, 147.3 mg Cholesterol, 343.8 mg Sodium, 439.8 mg Potassium, 43.4 g Carbs, 3.6 g Dietary Fiber, 1.5 g Sugar, 24.8 g Protein WW POINTS = 7

11 Responses to “Massaged Kale Salad”

Lauren — August 30, 2010 at 11:23 am

I’m so glad you posted this! Aarti’s kale salad is on my list of dishes to make, and it’s good to know that you guys enjoyed it.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — August 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I saw this on the first episode of Aarti Party and it looked so good to me! Kale is something I’ve also never worked with in our kitchen so I definitely want to give this recipe a try!

Josie — August 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I love kale, and I was intrigued by this as well – I really want to try it now! Great picture!

Lauren — August 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I picked up all of the ingredients this morning to make the salad, and it is now sitting in my fridge waiting to be devoured for lunch. It’s GREAT! Who knew raw kale could be so good?!

Lizzy — August 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Kale is one of my favorite foods but I haven’t had it raw yet. I am bookmarking this!

Kate — August 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Wow sounds interesting! I’m very curious to try it myself. I love kale.

Christine — August 30, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I saw this on Aarti Party too – looks good – glad you tried it!

We Are Not Martha — August 31, 2010 at 1:51 am

I love kale and am on a new-found mango kick, so I’m sure this is absolutely wonderful 🙂

Sues

Sherry G — August 31, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I don’t know if I could get anyone in my family to try this, but it looks so interesting! I have never tried kale, but I would like to!

Cara — August 31, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I made a massaged kale salad once but it was just “eh”. I don’t think I massaged enough. But I might have to try it again, and do it the right way, since you both loved it!

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I LOVE massaged kale – love, love, love it. It tastes completely different than “regular” – not as “green” if that makes sense. 🙂
    I also love the next food network star. I should check out Aarti’s show since this recipe sounds like it’s right up my alley. 🙂