Apple-Pumpkin muffins (2 WW pts)

Here’s another muffin recipe. I bake muffins on Sunday’s and then put each one in an individual ziploc bag and throw them all in the freezer. Then hubby and I can just grab one on the way out the door.

These muffins are very good and I like the flavors of the apple and pumpkin together. The flax seed adds a nutty flavor and it’s perfect with this recipe.

Apple-Pumpkin Muffins (from Allrecipes.com – I didn’t make the streusel topping) makes ~24 (22 for me) – 2 WW pts (without streusel topping)
Muffin:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour – I used King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
2 cups white sugar – I used 1/2 Splenda baking mix & 1/2 Splenda brown sugar mix
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice – I used 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten – I used 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
1 cup canned pumpkin puree – I used a whole can
1/2 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/4 cup applesauce + 3/4 cup ground Flax seed
2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple

Streusel Topping (I did not make this):
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.

In a large bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin and oil. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stirring just to moisten. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffin batter.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)

1 serving: 124.9 Calories, 1.7 g Fat, 0.1 mg Cholesterol, 121.1 mg Sodium, 55.4 mg Potassium, 21.8 g Carbs, 3.5 g Dietary Fiber, 11.3 g Sugar, 3.5 g Protein WW POINTS = 2

13 Responses to “Pomegranate Cranberry Quinoa Salad”

Smitten Sugar — January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I just made Quinoa for the first time myself this week. Love the addition of pomegranate. I will have to try it out!

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love quinoa! Never tried it with these ingredients. Great recipe!

Chelsea — January 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love quinoa, especially in breakfast form! Never had it with pomegranates, yay!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Glad you liked! It’s one of my favorites. Also packages up really nicely for a healthy take-to-work lunch!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I adore quinoa because it is so healthy and so filling!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum yum yum! What a yummy looking quinoa dish! I love quinoa, so if you’re looking to find more quinoa recipes, feel free to browse my blog. 🙂

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet — January 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love the versatility of quinoa – once you start cooking with it, it’s hard to stop . . . we think it makes a great breakfast, too! Warmed with milk, fruit & a little maple syrup or agave? Energy for the day!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams — January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love a good quinoa recipe. This one sounds worth a try.

Shannon — January 21, 2011 at 1:47 am

LOVE quinoa and poms 🙂 this looks like a delicious way to enjoy both ingredients!!

Daisy — January 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

don’t worry, I am officially the last one.

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad you tried it! I love quinoa. I think it’s second to Israeli couscous in my book. And pomegranates — love them. This sounds delicious!

kitchenmisfit — January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I am surprised by the chicken stock! It seems like it should be a sweet dish. I love quinoa and my husband does too!

Cheryl — January 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I have been reading about quinoa the “superfood” and how good it is for us. I bought some awhile back but hadn’t used it so I decided to try your recipe. OMG! I love it! I didn’t have pomegranate seeds and instead of almonds I used toasted pecans and also added orange zest. I will be using quinoa a lot now. Thanks!