White Chocolate and Blueberry Cupcakes

I got a new cupcake cookbook (Cupcakes: From the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn) this week and wanted to try one of the recipes out. If you remember, the recipe that I used for the AMAZING cookies-n-cream cupcakes came from this cookbook as well so Hubby and I were convinced that any recipe I tried would be good.

We had spent a weekend in Maine and bought some homemade blueberry preserves. I thought these would go perfectly with the White on White cupcakes. I decided to make the Full-Fat-Full-Dairy version of these cupcakes. That way I’m not tempted to try one. Or two or three.

Hubby said these were his 2nd favorite cupcakes of all time, behind the aforementioned Cookies-N-Cream cupcakes. He also said that quite a few of his coworkers loved them as well.

White on White Cupcakes – 4 WW pts – makes 24
(From: Cupcakes! By the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn)
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 box white cake mix
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
3 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners and set aside.

Place chocolate chips in glass mixing bowl in microwave on high for 50 seconds to 1 minute. Remove and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

Place cake mix, milk, oil, egg, egg whites, vanilla, and melted white chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down sides of the bowl with rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more.

Spoon or scoop 1/4 cup batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it two thirds of the way full.

Place pans in the oven and bake until they are lightly golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 17 to 20 minutes.

Allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting – 5 WW PTS(from Crazy about Cupcakes)
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

Heat the white chocolate chips, butter, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until all is melted. Remove from heat

Stir in the vanilla. Add the confectioners’ sugar slowly, stirring constantly, until combined. Add more milk or sugar to achieve desired spreading consistency.

I used the Cone Method to fill 12 of the cupcakes with preserves. I wanted to keep some for us to use later, especially since I wouldn’t be able to eat any of these cupcakes.

The frosting was very thick and only covered 12 of the cupcakes, which worked out fine since I only filled 12 of them. I frosted the remaining cupcakes with some leftover Hershey’s perfectly chocolate frosting that I had in the freezer from when I made the Chocolate-PB cupcakes.

Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)
1 cupcake: 162.7 Calories, 7.0g Fat, 14.4 mg Cholesterol, 184.9 mg Sodium, 3.2 mg Potassium, 23.7 g Carbs, 0.0 g Dietary Fiber, 14.4 g Sugar, 2.8 g Protein
WW POINTS = 4

1 serving frosting: 187.3 Calories, 5.6g Fat, 7.8 mg Cholesterol, 22.2 mg Sodium, 6.6 mg Potassium, 35.4 g Carbs, 0.0 g Dietary Fiber, 34.9 g Sugar, 1.1 g Protein
WW POINTS = 4

31 Responses to “Salted Dark Chocolate Truffle Cookies”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

Dark chocolate truffles in cookie form? Um, YES!!! I’ll take a dozen for myself and another dozen for later, please.

Erica @ In and Around Town — May 3, 2013 at 10:52 am

Wow – these sound good! and I truly do not understand how people can just “not be into chocolate!” It is my favorite!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

Yea, I really don’t get it either. Oh well, more for me!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — May 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Oh wow, chocolate truffle cookies sound divine! These look ridiculously good! Love that they’re salted too!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

I have been sprinkling salt on all of my cookies recently. It makes them much more adult and less super-sweet.

Brooke Schweers — May 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yum these look divine!

tracy {pale yellow} — May 4, 2013 at 8:21 am

I’m always in need of a chocolate fix! I have several friends that claim they are not chocolate people, yet I find whenever I make something chocolate + salt, they are all over it!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

I definitely find that people who claim they aren’t chocolate people rarely say no to any homemade baked goods. Chocolate or otherwise.

Nutmeg Nanny — May 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Oh my! These look divine 🙂 I’d love to make these babies soon!

Shannon — May 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

these look amazing!! and how thick that batter is 🙂 love the sea salt!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

The batter was basically ganache. You could have just made truffles from it directly.

ErinsFoodFiles — May 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I love any and all things dark chocolate. These look so decadent!

best friend rings — May 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m having some minor security problems with my latest blog and I’d like to find something
    more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

Jane — May 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Wow! Those look so perfectly decadent! I’m practically drooling on my screen 😉

Amy — May 16, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Just made these. Worried I didn’t bake them long enough… however they still tasted divine. Waiting to get the verdict from my husband on them.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

I think underbaking these sounds like a great idea. I might have to do that next time.

Rachita — June 4, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Since I’m trying this recipe for the first time, can I halve the entire recipe?

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn’t see this comment until now! I don’t see why you couldn’t make a half batch of these cookies. Did you try it? How did they turn out?

Joan — June 9, 2013 at 10:08 am

These are the most amazing chocolate cookies I have ever made. Everyone with whom I have shared them have gone absolutly nuts and want the recipe. I do not wet my hands when rolling the cookies into balls—too messy. I just let my hands get sticky and rinse and dry them after making several balls. This is one of the best recipes on Pinterest.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Thanks for the kind words! So glad you enjoy these cookies. I was wondering if getting my hands wet actually helped with the messiness very much. Next time I’ll be sure to just go at it without dealing with the water.

Rachita — June 18, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hey! I tried halving the recipe…but it melted while in the oven. Became runny & all of them just stuck together 🙁
    I tried just one batch. Anything I can do to fix the remaining batter?

• beantownbaker — June 18th, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Interesting… How did you account for half of an egg? And is your baking powder past it’s expiration date?

Rachita — June 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Ohh! Looks like I’ve added a lil too much egg. Damn! Any way I can fix the batter? Add more flour perhaps? Plz help!

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 7:12 am

I’d add a little more flour to see if you can balance out the extra amount of egg in there.

Rachita — June 20, 2013 at 6:49 am

I added 1/4 cup more flour & a teensy bit of baking powder to my messed up batter & they came out wonderfully! They’re so gooey & yumm that my husband & son (who never eats chocolate!) finished six cookies at one go!
    Amazing recipe!! Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it !

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Oh GOOD! So glad you were able to make them work. Aren’t they divine?

Rachita — June 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

U bet! They are sinfully delicious! Sent some in my son’s snack pack & I have mommies calling for these cookies!
    I’m officially ur No.1 fan now! 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:18 am

Aww Thanks! 🙂

Emily — June 27, 2013 at 6:59 am

Hi, I was wondering if I could put them in the freezer instead of the fridge for a shorter period of time? If so, how long should I put them in the freezer for instead of the fridge?

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 8:06 am

Hm. You could definitely try it. I would think it’s still going to need an hour or so in the freezer since you want it to set up pretty well. Let me know how it turns out if you do.