Lemon Berry Muffins – 2 WW pts

I like to make muffins on the weekend. I put each one in its own ziplock bag and throw them all in the freezer. Then Hubby and I just grab one in the morning when we leave for work. This recipe sounded interesting to me because I like lemon. Hubby loves these and they’re only 2 pts each!

Lemon Berry Muffins – 2 WW pts (adapted from Allrecipes.com)
1/2 cup plain yogurt – I made once w/ blueberry yogurt and it was great
3 tablespoons vegetable oil – I use applesauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice – I use the juice and zest from 1 lemon
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional) – I leave this out
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour – I use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup frozen raspberries – I use 2 cups of frozen berry medley (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
2 tablespoons white sugar for decoration (optional) – I leave this out

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or line with paper liners.

In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, oil, lemon juice, egg whites, and, if using, lemon extract.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just blended. Gently stir in the frozen raspberries.

Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining sugar over the tops for decoration, if desired.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Cool muffins in the tin on a wire rack.

8 Responses to “Vegan chocolate / banana / caramel cupcakes”

Joelen — February 12, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Oh my! These look fabulous!!!

Elizabeth — February 12, 2009 at 11:40 pm

I love vegan chocolate cupcakes – and these look delicious. I can’t wait to try them!

Koo-Bean Cuisine — February 20, 2009 at 12:17 am

These just made me so excited!!! They sound amazing and better yet…VEGAN! Thank you for posting this!

Jodi — February 21, 2009 at 12:08 am

I saw these on Tastespotting and want to try, but — for the mousse what type of chocolate chips are you using? All of the ones I’ve seen in the store have milk fat in them. I’m new to vegan cooking, so maybe this is still non-dairy? My son is allergic which is why I’ve been trying many new vegan recipes!

foodess — February 21, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Wow, those look over-the-moon good!

Amy Kingman — August 27, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I’m totally making these tonight! I dont have the fancy caramel sauce, but hopefully they’ll still be edible with regular caramel. 🙂 Yum!

Lexi — September 4, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Jodi- Gihrardelli semisweet chocolate chips do not have any milkfat in them.

These look fantastic-I am allergic to dairy, and have been finding it sooo hard to sate my sweet tooth and not pay for it later.

Me — August 16, 2010 at 12:46 am

They look fab! Thanks for sharing. I have included your site in our Vegan cupcake feature at http://www.partycupcakeideas.com