Lemon Berry Muffins – 2 WW pts

I like to make muffins on the weekend. I put each one in its own ziplock bag and throw them all in the freezer. Then Hubby and I just grab one in the morning when we leave for work. This recipe sounded interesting to me because I like lemon. Hubby loves these and they’re only 2 pts each!

Lemon Berry Muffins – 2 WW pts (adapted from Allrecipes.com)
1/2 cup plain yogurt – I made once w/ blueberry yogurt and it was great
3 tablespoons vegetable oil – I use applesauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice – I use the juice and zest from 1 lemon
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional) – I leave this out
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour – I use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup frozen raspberries – I use 2 cups of frozen berry medley (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
2 tablespoons white sugar for decoration (optional) – I leave this out

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or line with paper liners.

In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, oil, lemon juice, egg whites, and, if using, lemon extract.

In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just blended. Gently stir in the frozen raspberries.

Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining sugar over the tops for decoration, if desired.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Cool muffins in the tin on a wire rack.

9 Responses to “Cranberry Sauce”

theblogisthenewblack — November 1, 2010 at 11:24 am

You’re right- so easy there’s no reason not to try this! ha!

Eliana — November 1, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Love that this recipe is so simple and easy. A must have for Thanksgiving.

Michelle — November 1, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I LOVE homemade cranberry sauce! Tastes so good on the Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich!

Nutmeg Nanny — November 1, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Delicious! Simple recipes need to be shared too…those are my favorite 🙂

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — November 1, 2010 at 6:08 pm

This absolutely falls under the this-is-so-easy-and-so-much-better-why-would-I-ever-go-back-to-canned-version territory! I recently made turkey burgers with cranberry sauce dressing and used the canned kind – never again!

The Small Boston Kitchen — November 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm

You’re so right…there is NOTHING better than homemade!

Kerstin — November 2, 2010 at 4:17 am

Wow, this sounds so easy and delicious! I’m cooking for the first time this year and can’t wait to make everything from scratch, which usually doesn’t happen when others in my family cook… 🙂

Cassykins — November 2, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I’m jealous, I want this. I have to eat the stuff from a can because I’m allergic to cranberries and the stuff in a can is far away enough from real that I can get away with it. My grandma used to make cranberry relish which was amazing, but also broke me out into the most amazing hives.

Medifast Coupon Code 2010 — November 4, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I have never understood those that buy canned cranberries when they are so simple to make. Tastes way better than any can.
    Thanks for your nice and simple cranberry sauce recipe.