Am I a cupcake Hero?!?

Laurie over at quirky cupcake asked all cupcake lovers of the world to unite! She has started a monthly blogging event based around cupcakes! I do love cupcakes! For the inaugural event, the theme ingredient is lime!

Hubby, myself, and some friends were planning our menu for our upcoming Jimmy Buffett tailgating extravaganza and I thought Margarita cupcakes would be perfect! Margaritas are my favorite tasty beverage so I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a while now.

There are quite a few recipes out there for Margarita cupcakes. I chose this one because I liked the fact that it doesn’t use Margarita mix, but is a more “from scratch margarita” in cupcake form.

Margarita Cupcakes – makes 12
Recipe from here (Original recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
1 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla) – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/4 cup applesauce
2 tsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.

In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar.

In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined.

Divide evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Tequila and Lime Frosting
1/4 cup butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, softened
1 tbsp soymilk – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tequila
2+ cups confectioners’ sugar
coarse sugar for “rims”

Cream together butter/nonhydrogenated shortening (depending on whether you want the frosting vegan or not), soymilk, lime juice, tequila, and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar.

Add in more sugar as needed to make frosting stiff, but spreadable.

Spread on cupcakes and roll the edges in a small amount of coarse, colored sugar (poured into a small bowl, so it’s easy to direct it.

The verdict: The cupcakes turned out great. They really tasted like margaritas. You could taste a hint of the tequila, but it wasn’t overpowering. They were great for our Buffett tailgating!

12 Responses to “Crockpot Cranberry Pork Roast”

Rachel — November 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm

this sounds really good-will be trying this!

Kerstin — November 17, 2009 at 5:56 pm

This looks so tasty and easy to make! I need to get a crockpot.

Megan — November 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I made that recipe last week – and everyone loved it! I only wish I’d gotten pictures…..

oneordinaryday — November 17, 2009 at 10:15 pm

This looks wonderful. Bookmarking right now! Thanks!

Ingrid — November 18, 2009 at 3:26 am

Oh, boy this looks wonderful! I love slow cooker recipes like this. What side did you serve with it? Just veggies?
    ~ingrid

Kat — November 18, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Both your cranberry recipes look great. I am hoping Santa brings me a new crockpot for Christmas as my previous one was nuclear. This recipe looks so easy. I am not a pie fan so am thinking the cranberry apple dessert would be nice for hubby and I for Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing!

Jen — November 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Yep just some steamed veggies.

Kasey — November 23, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious! Thanks for the posting!

Krystal — November 24, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I finally made this recipe after having it bookmarked forever. Thanks to Kelsey for reminding me about it – it was soooo good and it definitely hit the spot!!! Thanks Jen!

Amanda Pronko — December 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I make this every year for Christmas dinner 😀 We always go out for a fancy Christmas Eve dinner, and then we have a huge fancy Christmas Breakfast… by the time Christmas dinner comes around we are wiped out and not really in the mood to cook. This recipe is perfect because I can throw it all in the crock pot on Christmas Eve morning and pop in in the fridge. Then on Christmas day I put it on low and put wild rice in the rice cooker. My family always looks forward to it and we just love how delicious it is. I really wanted to let you know that this has been a tradition for us for about 3-4 years!! Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!!

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 11:06 am

I love hearing stories like this! Family traditions are so heart warming during the holidays 🙂

Liz — January 25, 2014 at 10:31 am

Nice recipe – Thank you. I love slow cooker recipes. Have a Happy Weekend!